• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Dugouts

Peter Dexter

Children and canoes on the river Tundó.

[
27740670430_d399092ebf_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Children and canoes on the river Tundó.

27740670430_d399092ebf_b.jpg

Again you have caught the humanity! I love the boys looking back at you. Did you take any more and did the girl in Pink turn too?

Think of the hours of work to hew out those canoes! I wonder whether or not the square broad stern of the boat is native to the the people or it is copied from the European immigrant settlers?

Asher

Peter Dexter

That's an interesting speculation regarding the stern. Also they are not at environmentally sustainable since they require cutting down a very large tree of fine hardwood then only last about four years. A local guide used one as a mold and commissioned one to be made in fiberglas. It is the only one of it's kind in the region and will last pretty much forever since it can be easily patched.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
That's an interesting speculation regarding the stern. Also they are not at environmentally sustainable since they require cutting down a very large tree of fine hardwood then only last about four years. A local guide used one as a mold and commissioned one to be made in fiberglas. It is the only one of it's kind in the region and will last pretty much forever since it can be easily patched.

Peter,

You must read about the international, (admittedly mostly French), fabulous self-help boat building program in Bangladesh: "Whatever".

This program deals with the sustainability problem in Bangladesh of the desperately poor coastal villagers who man the worlds largest merchant fishing fleet of essentially large canoes. These boats use local wood which fall to pieces after 3-7 years in the water drowning the fishermen! The organization has introduced fiberglass with local jute fibers substituting for the more expensive Western industrial fiberglass. The charity Waterver, has also built an infrastructure of training, harvesting and preparing jute fiber, exports and boat building. now the boats can last 20 years or more.

Nicolas Claris and his son Romain have documented the entire program and I have one of the pictures used to raise money for the charity in my front hall!

Asher

Last edited: