• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Carla's trip to NYC

Doug Kerr

Last week Carla was in New York City (yes, I know that's not really its name) attending the annual international convention of the Red Hat Society, which as some of you know is a social order for mature women. She had a wonderful time.

She had her trusty Canon G16 with her, and here are a few quick workups of some of the results.

A high spot of her "tourism" was her visit to One World Trade Center (known during its construction as Freedom Tower), the major building that was built on the site of the former World Trade Center complex that was destroyed in the attacks of 2001.09.11. It is the tallest building in the western hemisphere, and is said to be the sixth-tallest in the world. The "architectural" height of the building is 1,776 feet, intended to match the year (CE) of the founding of the United States.

Carla went to the observation deck, located on floors "102-104" (I use the quotes there as there are always a lot of "funny" things involved with the floor numbering of these buildings), where she said the view was just stupendous.

Here we see, looking north, three earlier icons of NYC architecture:

G06762-01-S800.jpg

Carla C. Kerr: Icons of NYC architecture

(Yes, I know this can benefit from some more sophisticated post processing; I was just anxious to get these up.)

On the left we see the Empire State Building; on the far right, the Chrysler Building; and just right of center, the MetLife building, for many years known as the Pan Am building and still often thought of by that name around the world.

Now we look a bit east of north, with Brooklyn on the right.

G06769-01-S800.jpg

Carla C. Kerr: Take the bridge to Brooklyn

We see (l) the Williamsburg Bridge, and (r) the iconic Brooklyn Bridge.

Back at ground level, we see a wonderful shopping corner, for the well-heeled:

G06614-01-S800.jpg

Carla C. Kerr: Stop in and pick up a few things

The perspective is interesting, making it look as if one could drive right into Bergdorf Goodman.

Here is another view of some of the architecture:

G06650-01-S800.jpg

Carla C. Kerr: Big buildings

Carla probably knows what these are but she's not here right now. I'm not sure what the louver-like arrangement is on the building to the right; it might be be some sort of solar collector (not electrical).

New York, like so many cities, is perhaps at its most fabulous at night. This is just outside Carla's hotel:

G06859-01-S800.jpg

Carla C. Kerr: Almost home

More later.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
G06650-01-S800.jpg

Doug,

I wonder whether the louver system is for noise remediation perhaps?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Last week Carla was in New York City (yes, I know that's not really its name) attending the annual international convention of the Red Hat Society, which as some of you know is a social order for mature women. She had a wonderful time.

She had her trusty Canon G16 with her, and here are a few quick workups of some of the results.

A high spot of her "tourism" was her visit to One World Trade Center (known during its construction as Freedom Tower), the major building that was built on the site of the former World Trade Center complex that was destroyed in the attacks of 2001.09.11. It is the tallest building in the western hemisphere, and is said to be the sixth-tallest in the world. The "architectural" height of the building is 1,776 feet, intended to match the year (CE) of the founding of the United States.

Carla went to the observation deck, located on floors "102-104" (I use the quotes there as there are always a lot of "funny" things involved with the floor numbering of these buildings), where she said the view was just stupendous.

Here we see, looking north, three earlier icons of NYC architecture:

G06762-01-S800.jpg

Carla C. Kerr: Icons of NYC architecture

(Yes, I know this can benefit from some more sophisticated post processing; I was just anxious to get these up.)

On the left we see the Empire State Building; on the far right, the Chrysler Building; and just right of center, the MetLife building, for many years known as the Pan Am building and still often thought of by that name around the world.

Now we look a bit east of north, with Brooklyn on the right.

G06769-01-S800.jpg

Carla C. Kerr: Take the bridge to Brooklyn

We see (l) the Williamsburg Bridge, and (r) the iconic Brooklyn Bridge.

Back at ground level, we see a wonderful shopping corner, for the well-heeled:

G06614-01-S800.jpg

Carla C. Kerr: Stop in and pick up a few things

The perspective is interesting, making it look as if one could drive right into Bergdorf Goodman.

Here is another view of some of the architecture:

G06650-01-S800.jpg

Carla probably knows what these are but she's not here right now. I'm not sure what the louver-like arrangement is on the building to the right; it might be be some sort of solar collector (not electrical).

New York, like so many cities, is perhaps at its most fabulous at night. This is just outside Carla's hotel:

G06859-01-S800.jpg

Carla C. Kerr: Almost home

More later.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug,

I'm so delighted to look out with Carla in her journey to NY! The Red Hat Society, like Carla, has so much wonderful flair, so I am glad she can celebrate.

Thank her for sharing her pictures. The Canon digicam is perfect for the job!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Carla advises that this is the lower section of 1 Word Trade Center itself.

I find that this is a louver arrangement that is part of the ventilating system, with the louver doors of glass. I don't know yet whether the individually articulate, or whether they are all just fixed at different angles (perhaps to minimize the impact of reflection of the sun from them).

I'll try and look into it more when time allows.

Here is another of Carla's shots:

G06748-01-S800.jpg

Carla C. Kerr: Louvers at the base of 1 World Trade Center

Here is another shot from the Internet:

15729555848_a8ddd80b1f_b.jpg

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Doug,

I hope folk will forgive me from asking further questions about the louvers these pictures have revealed.

This system represents a huge investment in resources and also a continuing expense in cleaning and maintenance. So I am looking forward to some engineering and economic explanation that reveals the sense of it all.m

Theoretically, it will shield the window from direct force of rainstorms. Next it can filter and reflect sunlight and substantially reduce windload. Perhaps it creates a circulation of air to further remove the energy that does reach the window glass and heat it.

Asher

marcandre

Doug,
Thanks for sharing these photos. It makes me want to take a trip to the observation deck. I live a few hours from NYC so I will put it on my list.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Doug,

I hope folk will forgive me from asking further questions about the louvers these pictures have revealed.

This system represents a huge investment in resources and also a continuing expense in cleaning and maintenance. So I am looking forward to some engineering and economic explanation that reveals the sense of it all.

I really haven't completely followed the descriptions as to what is the point of this.

Theoretically, it will shield the window from direct force of rainstorms.
There are no windows in this part of the building. This portion of the building wall is devoted to a metal louver system that is the air intake (or out-take) for the building's ventilation system. The complementary part is at the top pf the building.

The whole arrangement is said to be "blast resistant". But I don't know whether the glass panels are supposed to protect the metal louvers from the effect of a possible blast, or whether the metal louvers are themselves intended to be blast resistant, and the glass panels are just to give the desired architectural appearance. I think it is the latter.

I'll see what further I can find out.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Thanks to Carla for being our architectural vanguard and scout! I do not take what she photographs for granted as I have such a lot to learn about architecture and she has photographed a major new, (to me), as pect of building choices for ventilation.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Thanks to Carla for being our architectural vanguard and scout! I do not take what she photographs for granted as I have such a lot to learn about architecture and she has photographed a major new, (to me), as pect of building choices for ventilation.

For me as well!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

For me as well!

Best regards,

Doug

.......and this brings us to some insight in one of the great values of photography: unintended consequences!

How many different ways have photographs opened us up to new ideas or accidentally exposed us to what was supposed to be hidden?

That photograph of a a lover that falls out of an engineering or medical book when the wife is tiding one's office, for example!