• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Visit to Maine

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What a place for all sorts of sea riches and wonderful yachts and great walks around islands.

As sun sets, the shadows in the trees are bewitchingly beautiful.

IMG_3202_1200.jpg

Asher Kelman: A tree by the church, lit with the last light of the day.

iPhone 6 and Topaz Impression

Enjoy the peace and quiet and forgive me for not having taken it with my Chamonix Camera and real film.

Asher

Asher Kelman

In the Evening, a feast of home grown vegetables and soups and open spaces to wander in.....

IMG_3237_IMG_3241-5 1200

Asher Kelman: The Barn Restaurant!

Canon 6D Topaz Impression

Comments welcome!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Then there's the sea. We can go from our island to the mainland. There are lots of fishing boats and lobster boats too. The fish has been overfished so there's more food for the lobsters. These are farmed very well, with zones for the young and strict measure to maintain the vibrancy of the market. It's said that some mean fishermen lure folk to their cabin for coffee but then force them to feast on lobster all day!

IMG_3200 1200.jpg

Asher Kelman: Island Harbor.

Best wishes to all!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

"Island Harbor" is wonderful. It somehow reminds one of a panoramic postcard.

Best regards,

Doug

Jarmo Juntunen

I like them all, but 2nd is wonderful. I like the feel that you've achieved in them. Maine is on my bucket list, maybe one day I'll get to see these sights myself.

Asher Kelman

Wolfgang, Jarmo and Doug,

Thanks so much for the visit and kind remarks. I am thrilled that I rediscovered these pictures. I have been working so much with sculpture, that I neglected my friends!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Sunset is the time for walks. I am not wanted in the kitchen anyway as my elder son is the chef and I would only be stealing bits of fish and be in the way.

Our rented cottage is just back 600 meters directly opposite. This is the scene!

[
[Group 4]-_MG_0270__MG_0284-3 1200.jpg

Asher Kelman: The Harbor House at Sunset

Canon 6D AutoPano Giga, Topaz Impression
and Nik Silver Effect Pro as "salt to taste"

Thanks for dropping by!

Always great to have friends.

Asher

Great work Asher, about as far from San Diego as you can get but with some of the same feel! Love your use of plug-ins for post-processing, IMO that's what it's all about.

You're a long ways from home man! I too enjoyed them all, but that first one struck a chord for some reason. Probably has something to do with the white clapboard siding on the church, I reckon.

Send along more photos when you get the opportunity.

Asher Kelman

Mike and Tom,

We have a rich culture. Those clapboards of the church were not just put up from Home Depot by a day crew. Like as not the islanders collected money from the parishioners, had the planks chosen from some mill in the mainland and waited for a freighter to have enough cargo to bring the wood and beams. The folk that worked on the building used techniques handed down from grandfathers and local ship builders. Every part of the structure is related to some family giving their time. So that white clapboard church is to me a measure of the unity of the community. They do the same in managing their fisheries and police. Folk wait until its their time of the week for a cop to arrive by boat once a week, LOL!

The much mocked "East coast values" are those same principles that welcomed the miserable refuse of humanity from Europe and allowed them to grow whole again.

I treasure every sight on these Islands as there are no kinder and more generous folk anyway.

........and if there's a storm, it's the fisherman who handbill his own schooner who will brave the storm when even the coast guard cannot navigate and is beached in a storm. They will go through a watery hell to bring you home!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher
I just love how you have given the feeling of esoterica in your photos here. Some look so beautifully vintage in quality and love! You do love this place. I can see it and feel it. Fantastic work!

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

Asher
I just love how you have given the feeling of esoterica in your photos here. Some look so beautifully vintage in quality and love! You do love this place. I can see it and feel it. Fantastic work!

Thanks for your visit, Charlotte!

Yes, I have a personal appreciation of the hardworking really wonderful folk on the Maine coast. Rugged landscape and self reliant communities!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher

Great pictures & I can relate to the eastern maritime culture 100% having lived in Newfoundland for 20 years. Cheers, Mike

You are so welcome, Michael!

When California becomes independent we'll link up with Canada and the North East as a great new state that values honesty and the human spirit!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Wonderful pano-work Asher, I'm impressed!!

That's a kind compliment indeed, Klaus! The view one gets in these places involves, sweeping one's eyes back and forth, sniffing the wind, hearing the sounds and feeling the wind in one's faces with the smell of the sea. So taking 3-30 overlapping shots is a small price to pay for bring this experience home.

Thanks,

Asher

It is very special what panoramas does to an image ( as for instance that the light travels in more "directions" in the view ) . I got hooked by the cloud patterns in the first one, as the first impression was an overlay.

IMG_3200 1200.jpg

Asher Kelman: Island Harbor.

The Island Harbor is a mighty view.

I started to make panoramas shooting a christmas tree mirror ball from underneath, to get 360 degrees with one shot. It worked but the "lens" quality of the balls were not good =).

Peter Dexter

Asher I am awfully late to this thread but so what! What beautiful images the Maine coast you have made.So skillful and evocative. In my college days I drove up to Rhode Island with my girlfriend planning to ferry over to Block Island. There was dirty weather and the ferry didn't run so we stayed in a cabin nearby. The owner was a lobsterman. As we wondered what we'd do for dinner he knocked on the door and said because of the storm I had to pull up my traps. Here's seven chicken lobsters if you want them.

Asher Kelman

Asher I am awfully late to this thread but so what! What beautiful images the Maine coast you have made.So skillful and evocative. In my college days I drove up to Rhode Island with my girlfriend planning to ferry over to Block Island. There was dirty weather and the ferry didn't run so we stayed in a cabin nearby. The owner was a lobsterman. As we wondered what we'd do for dinner he knocked on the door and said because of the storm I had to pull up my traps. Here's seven chicken lobsters if you want them.

Peter,

I love that story and that plays over and over in their reactions to each other and visitors.

So kind of you to visit and linger with my Maine mementoes. There is something honest and wholesome about the ordinary folk here. It is as if the community values of sailors who built homes, churches and boats together are still the fabric of this culture, something most places lack.

They provide food and you give them money perhaps but the goal is to be your host!

Asher