• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Savannah River at Dawn

Harvey Moore

This is one I shot on the Savannah River downstream from Hartwell Dam.

Took this just as sun was ready to show on the horizon.

140114056_f99928f5e0_o.jpg

A little later, looking towards the Dam

141177032_142f6a7825_o.jpg

Both of these were shot with 5D and 24-70L. River rocks at about 30mm fl and the dam at 24mm. iso 200, tripod mounted, f8 both. Shutter speeds were in the 1/30" - 1/60". tod was 6:45 and 7:15 am

Criticism welcomed

harvey

Last edited:
Hi Harvey,

Thanks for posting!

With regard to the first image: I think there is potential here. What do you think of the following crop:

OPF1.jpg

Sometimes less is more, and to my eye this emphasizes the strengths in the image.

The second one looks pretty good as is. I like the effect created by the two sets of rocks in foreground and background, working at the same time as the mirrored reflections. Interesting shot.

Harvey Moore

Thanks Don. I like your crop idea better than my original, except your crop removes cloud reflections in foreground.

I am making a project of the three dams along the Savannah, and tips like yours will help. I started this early last year with my 20D, the camera performed better than the photographer, and I will return to them with maybe a better eye this time.

I see you are in NC, not that far from me here in Anderson, SC. I am always looking for someone to shoot with, maybe we can meet up at some scenic spot for a joint shoot.

Regards,

harvey

Last edited: