Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography

Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography Photography as a visual artform open to any serious picture, where classical photography is the mode of our expression. Open to all! Not curated. For works intended for clients and galleries submit to GALLERY ONE.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 12th, 2017, 01:01 AM
K.Hannah K.Hannah is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Land of the Borogoves
Posts: 32
Default Prisoner

To see over the wall, this dog, climbed, up a pile or boxes, onto a braai place, up the chimney and then leaned over the wall so we could bark at passers by.

__________________
“Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.”
― Douglas Adams, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old March 12th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 32,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Hannah View Post
To see over the wall, this dog, climbed, up a pile or boxes, onto a braai place, up the chimney and then leaned over the wall so we could bark at passers by.

Once again your titles set the milieu for context and reflection about the human condition. This is going to be a fabulous collection.

More than a few folk advocate that "The picture should speak for itself"......and much of the time they are right.

Still, brilliant titles refocus our brains and then the picture becomes a word of language with references, a library of experience and meaning that extends far beyond "What is" to "What could be" and that's where humor can be expressed, as in this case!

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old March 12th, 2017, 11:21 AM
K.Hannah K.Hannah is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Land of the Borogoves
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Once again your titles set the milieu for context and reflection about the human condition. This is going to be a fabulous collection.

More than a few folk advocate that "The picture should speak for itself"......and much of the time they are right.

Still, brilliant titles refocus our brains and then the picture becomes a word of language with references, a library of experience and meaning that extends far beyond "What is" to "What could be" and that's where humor can be expressed, as in this case!

Asher
Thank you Asher I think I have had an inspired day today with titles.

I think that titles are an important part of a photograph. They give the context of an idea, they are a leading thought, a hint as to what the story might be. So important to try and get write, just as if you were titling a written story.

Humour makes the world worth living in
__________________
“Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.”
― Douglas Adams, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old March 13th, 2017, 06:34 PM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 32,616
Default

But what do you think of the adage that the picture should "speak for itself"? How often is that true for your own work and your expectations of the work of others?

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 13th, 2017, 11:03 PM
K.Hannah K.Hannah is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Land of the Borogoves
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
But what do you think of the adage that the picture should "speak for itself"? How often is that true for your own work and your expectations of the work of others?

Asher
I think that every photo is a story and that it should tell a story. Be it of a rainy day or a great momentous time in history. That being said, like real stories, the kind that come in book form, a title is a part of that, yes the story should still be readable without it but... it does add something to a piece to have a great title.
__________________
“Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.”
― Douglas Adams, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 13th, 2017, 11:37 PM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 32,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Hannah View Post
I think that every photo is a story and that it should tell a story. Be it of a rainy day or a great momentous time in history. That being said, like real stories, the kind that come in book form, a title is a part of that, yes the story should still be readable without it but... it does add something to a piece to have a great title.
Best answer I have had!

Fits in with what both side believe!

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quatermass, The Prisoner or Bamburgh Beach Mike Shimwell Landscape - Travel 15 March 29th, 2009 03:39 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:03 PM.


Posting images or text grants license to OPF, yet © of such remain with its creator. Still, all assembled discussion © 2006-2017 Asher Kelman (all rights reserved) Posts with new theme or unusual image might be moved/copied to a new thread!