• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Choosing a tripod on a budget: $150 to support a Nikon and long lenses!

Chad Winker

I am currently still buying the needed accessories for my new(ish) camera.

Anyway, given I just got the D200 a week ago, I would by no means consider myself proficient yet with it, though I can already tell I will be needing a tripod with it. I know you just said you folks were "Brand Agnostic" so... Could you make a recommendation for a tripod for me?

It would be mostly for outdoor shots, and would be supporting a Nikon D200 with the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR (preferably with ease) (Perhaps one of my older (larger) 200mm zoom lenses, I am not sure if it is even worth hauling around at this point though). Anyway, I am not really sure what brands to look at, perhaps you can recommend some brands or better yet some specifics ^_^. Here is the catch though, I only have about $150 (excluding shipping) to spend on this, as I am a broke college student (Self-Imposed, Too many expensive hobby's lol).

Thanks,

Chad

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Chad,

Splitting off this request as a new topic will get more focus. That's what we do!

Here's an example of a useful lightweight tripod complete with a ball head and quick release.

584260.jpg

A great source is B&H here.

Look at the reviews. The only things missing are spikes if you go hiking on a mountain, which you won't right now and a handle on the head.

Down the road you might upgrade the head to an Arca Swiss type ball head and quick release hardware from Reallyrightstuff.com or Kirk.

The other alternative is to pick up a tripod on sale at http://fredmiranda.com. Best find one there that's on sale in your home town, so you can test it. It's no good if you have to pay for shipping again if you find the head doesn't stay locked down and sags!

The good thing about B&H is that they will resolve any issues fairly.

Asher

Chad Winker

It looks like the Benro A-068M8 looks to be about what I need, but now I am a bit curious as well. What would something like the Manfrotto 190XPROB 3 Section Aluminum Pro Tripod with say, a 496RC2 Ball Head (about $230 total) offer that the $143 Benro does not? Obviously it is a bit out of my current budget, but if the differences are significant, It may be in my best interest to wait a month or so and get something nicer and make due with nothing for now. Thanks!

Oh, and you seem to be rather ubiquitous Asher lol

Asher Kelman

Spend the least to do the job and do ! now! Beware of price creep! At present that was you budget. Stick to it and make you life simple. Choosing gear is in itself a dangerous activity at it steals time and sets up unreasonable expectations and delusions of need. You will end up with more tripods down the road.

Right now, it's picture shooting and course work that should occupy your mind.... and friends too (that have no more problems than you)!

Asher

Chad Winker

Spend the least to do the job and do ! now! Beware of price creep! At present that was you budget. Stick to it and make you life simple. Choosing gear is in itself a dangerous activity at it steals time and sets up unreasonable expectations and delusions of need. You will end up with more tripods down the road.

Right now, it's picture shooting and course work that should occupy your mind.... and friends too (that have no more problems than you)!

Asher

Good advice. Sticking with a budget it is then.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Chad,
The fundamental practical differences between a $150 tripod and, say, a $500 model are going to reside in the areas of weight, durability, and special design features (i.e. leg locks). Tripod legs made from exotic carbon fiber or basalt carry a premium for lightness without sacrificing strength. The higher the design load carrying capacity, the higher the price, too.

Today there are quite a few very good economy brands that didn't exist even a few years ago. Benro has a good following, as does Adorama's house brand.

You're wise not to over-spend on a tripod right now. You're unlikely to use it nearly as often as you expect, so a good sturdy economy model will be just fine. Nobody will be able to tell that you didn't use a $500+ Gitzo by looking at your photos.

Chad Winker

The one I decided on is the Benro A-068M8 Travel Angel Aluminum Tripod with BH-00 Ballhead, however If you guys know about it, could you inform me on the A-069 model? It is $3 more and I am a bit unsure of the difference.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

No difference! Just close down an inch shorter approx. Trust us, nothing like this is important. You might even find a used one for $50. Look at Craig's list, there may be one for free just folk want to get rid of it.

At this time, consider this as a book to put on the table to put a sheet of paper on top of to just have a clean surface to write on!

Asher

Chad Winker

Hey thanks! I will try to get the best deal I can find on that, but so far, that site you linked actually has one of the best prices I have found so far. Where do you usually buy your equipment from, being new to this I am not sure the first sites I should check for lenses, accessories, etc.

Asher Kelman

I like to have my life simple. So I choose B&H as their prices are generally the best and they are honest. Lots of other good places too. Canoga Camera, Alans in PA, I've always bee treated well by Adorama too, but over all, you can't go wrong with B&H or these other companies I mentioned.

Unless you inherit a fortune lets not talk about shopping!

Asher

Chad Winker

Figured I would check around for a few other alternatives as it never hurts to shop around.

I stumbled across this one on craigslist for $150 in 'Only used once' condition. Could you verify for me if this would be suitable for my needs? Thank you!

It is a Manfrotto 190XDB and compact ball head 486RC2.

Asher Kelman

Hi Chad,

For a question like this, simply search for the items and look at the price and specs. This Manfrotto is as good as any. Only differences might be weight that can be supported, max height, smallest height and total weight. At this price point, there's usually no practical difference and you must really work this out for yourself. It could be that the promoted weight load is better, check that on the B&H site under specifications. This sort of detail is something only you can work out now.

Where are the pics!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Chad,

Figured I would check around for a few other alternatives as it never hurts to shop around.

I stumbled across this one on craigslist for $150 in 'Only used once' condition. Could you verify for me if this would be suitable for my needs? Thank you!

It is a Manfrotto 190XDB and compact ball head 486RC2.
Note that the "RC2" on the ball head designation means that it has an integrated quick-connect "receptacle" of the Manfrotto "RC2 style" (they have other styles - wholly different mechanical interfaces). Be sure it comes with at least one plate or you will be unable to mount your camera to it.

We have standardized here on the RC2 style quick connect, but some workers feel that another style with a larger physical interface is "better". (The normal RC2 plates have an especially nice screw for attaching the camera.)

We have the Manfrotto 484RC2 ball head here, and use it mostly on our Manfrotto monopod. It is lovely. I don't know the 486RC2, nor the 190XDB tripod.

I don't normally use a ball head on a tripod. I like to be able to level the tripod head and then pan and/or elevate without continuously having to also address the roll attitude of the camera (as one must do when using a ball head). So I normally keep a pan/elevate/roll head on my tripods. But, different strokes for different folks.

I use both geared and "handle" pan/elevate/roll heads, depending on the situation. The geared heads are of course great for landscape, architectural, and technical work. The "handle" heads are handier for less "technical" work.

Everything Manfrotto we have is lovely.

Best regards,

Doug