• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Aperture v. Photoshop Lightroom

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
There's a thread in dpreview that worries about Adobe threatening to pull the plug on vesions for Mac of upcoming Adobe software versions. It seems to be based on an unsubstantiated blog derived rumor.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=20319073

My response, not being an insider is to reject such ideas.

Adobe is very powerful but the guys are super smart. Apple provides a substantial part of their daily bread! I don't think Adobe wants to lose that: they are not so self-destructive nor so hungry!

Photoshop lightroom is a workflow product. It has a dominant position and the people that design the software are at the cutting edge of RAW processing and workflow thinking.

Adobe guys are young, energetic and creative. They are part of a large club with a loyal customer base and evangelists whose lives are measured in their work with Adobe.

I see none of this going away.

Aperture too is the product of creative minds. It too has some of the brightest guys planning the novel paradigms for imaging, versioning and SHARING files with photoshop.

Aperture designers know how good Photoshop and Lightroom are. So they put out an impressive processing and workflow tool themselves.

I see synergy. Not one tool will answer everyone's needs. We'll see how well Aperture does with batch processing of large files without premium video cards in the Intel PowerBookPro laptops. I imagine we'll see that PS might do better perhpas in certain mobile situations, where such theoretical limitations might be in fact be of practical significence.

This is where we have to wait and see.

CS2 is more RAM dependant while Aperture is more Graphics card dependant in some key applications.

Wait a while, and the areas where each excels will become evident and then we'll get the next round of great improvements.

Asher

Rob.Martin

hahahahah, this is funny

I've seen the Adobe big cheese cutting code while on a African Safari, using a MAC.
He and I took some colour patches with the P25 so he could muck about with it.
I seriously don't think there's much chance of seeing Adobe dissappear of MAC platforms.
If anything the MAC platform is getting stronger. In fact, I'm on a MacBookPro now (a sure fire indicator that it's a good platform.. hehe)
This baby is the goods!!!!

Aperture or Lightroom are moot points for me, I use C1. I am not convinced by either as the actual workflow is different from what I am used to / like. I might read some tutorials.
Plus they are dog slow in my books. Start shovelling some P45 or P25 files around your workflow and you'll know what I mean!!!!

0.02c

Rob

Andrew Rodney

My response being somewhat of an insider is to reject such nonsense. And please, it's DP Review? The signal to noise ratio is out of this world.

Ray West

Rumour or not, I thought the mac hardware was now going/gone intel based processor wise, and was running windows of some sort. afaik, there are more IBM pcs compared to macs in the world at large, although whether there are more windows running adobe compared to mac os running adobe, I guess only adobe know. If the pc market share of adobe software is growing, and mac os side falling, then there will come a time when adobe would be unlikely to want to keep development going on two different os platforms.

If you think there is any sort of loyality wrt to adobe and mac users, you're sadly mistaken, imho. When Adobe thinks it suits them financially, Mac os will be a fading memory. Remind me, in say 5 years time, maybe 5 months.

Best wishes,

Ray

Andrew Rodney

The processors used in a Mac are totally immaterial. Apple is selling you a operating system. That Windows and Mac's can share the same processor means little (unless you're on a Mac and want to run both, an advantage to that platform).

The Mac isn't running Windows of some sort. You can get a free copy of Boot Camp which allows you to run Windows (after you purchase that operating system) on the same hardware.

Adobe is selling plenty of Macintosh copies of all their products.

Diane Fields

Andrew Rodney said:
My response being somewhat of an insider is to reject such nonsense. And please, it's DP Review? The signal to noise ratio is out of this world.

Yes, dpreview is as you say, but you can find some good info there if you 'filter'. My current interest is in a new pigment printer--and there's more current input on dpreview than anywhere else I've found---I just have to sort through it--the noise, as you say.

I don't have the quandary of Aperture vs. Lightroom since I'm a PC person, but now, after using the new Beta 4 (Win version) after the 3--I have to say I like a lot about it. I had to sort out a bug in library module, but Adobe knows about it and will correct it. I really like the develop module. I find that I have the most control in an RC that I've ever had--and I like that. I'm still not a bit crazy abou the library and haven't tried the print or web modules--first things first, but the develop module, for me, is on the right track. The combination of Michael J from RSP and the current developers appears to be a good one---things I'd hoped for showed up in 4. BTW--one thing I like and rarely used before---is the split toning option.

I can't imagine that it won't continue to be developed for Mac users--that would be crazy IMHO.

Addendum since I read the 2 above posts----many many of the pro graphics users of Adobe products are using Macs and aren't about to change any time soon--they are totally biased toward Macs and I understand that since they have used them for a long period of time. The graphics group I use for printing great numbers of prints for clients and very large prints uses all Macs--with one PC in their midst. However, both of us using PS makes it very easy to work together.

Diane

Mike Spinak

pro member
There's a thread in dpreview that worries about Adobe threatening to pull the plug on vesions for Mac of upcoming Adobe software versions.

<hearty chuckle>

I say that this rumor/worry is entirely mistaken.

Mike

Alain Briot

pro member
"There's a thread in dpreview that worries about Adobe threatening to pull the plug on vesions for Mac of upcoming Adobe software versions."

I'd take it seriously if today was April 1st.

Jeff O'Neil

A recent financial article (past few days) pointed to Adobe's core strengths. I cannot bring up the on line article I read but the essentails were that a vast amount of Adobe's sales were in fact on the Windows platform which included all software.

However in key areas such as design and photography Mac's were by far the leading OS. Since this is Adobe's mainstay I also as did the article feel that the Mac programs would ever be dropped and were highly profitable for them.

Jeff