• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Muse Visits! Shelise, the costume maker!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I met her in the pharmacy, waiting for my prescription to be filled after I was released from hospital. four days later, she kindly posed for my camera.

_mg_2845Layered master-flat 2 monochrome.jpg

Asher Kelman: Shelise with Crystals #1 Monochrome
Canon 6D 50mm 1.2L

Asher

Last edited:

Paul Abbott

Hey Asher, I admire your courage to ask someone to model for you like this...and for her willingness. Nice one...

I hope you don't mind me saying...you gotta' watch those hands, Asher. She looks like she's lost her fingers to her right hand.
The floor looks a little unclean and i'm wondering about those highlights, they look over-exposed to me. They make the rock in front of her look like a tray of melted marshmallow.
I'm not sure about the objects, I don't feel as though there is any relation or affinity going on and her pose with them looks awkward. But that's just me...I'm just being objective with this one.

I know how hard it can be posing and lighting your subject, coming up with new ideas and shooting models, they're all processes that need a lot of thought and attention, so my hat is off to you, Asher.

Do you have any influences or someone that provides you with any inspiration?

Asher Kelman

Paul,

Thanks for visiting! She is adorable and most helpful. I am glad we have a free enough environment that critique can flow freely. I recognized immediately the degradation of the crystals she loves, but not a dirty floor, LOL! Mea Culpa!

I have asked her to prepare her favorites and she is about to start today. It's the first time I have given a model the RAW images! She tells me she's adept at photoshop too and I am consumed with a 3 story steel sculpture weighing some 13,000 lb and requiring teams of workers, transporters, cranes and skilled fitters to install.

This picture was quickly converted from color to tinted Monochrome using a simple filter that brought out the marks on the floor you detect and made the minor marks more defined by the increased contrast! That is my punishment for editing on my MacBook Pro wiith dust from factory work on the screen. I didn't see any of the "dirt" on the floor. That was a pretty clean black paper off a new roll. But we could have tracked in some dirt.

However I liked it enough to share!

Notice her hair is not combed to perfection either! As to the pose, we have more graceful ones. This is simply the one I processed first and liked. But it does introduce a lovely person well.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I hope you don't think ill of me, for giving my feedback, Asher.

Paul,

I am proud of the fact that we have a unique environment where one has permission to speak honestly about impressions to friends. This is just a sample from the shoot, not the selected images for an exhibition.

I am very happy to receive your feedback and critique. I find it helpful and your opinion counts, so don't worry for a moment!

Folk who only show carefully prepared pictures, (finally selected for exhibition from many choices), may feel that open critique will damage their reputation and sales. Some are insulted. This we should avoid doing to them.

I however, know you are quite correct and your cautions are well thought out and good guides for everyone preparing precious images for show.

So continue to be honest and speak freely when I post. "if I make it, I can take it!"

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Beautiful model, adorable dress.

The props don't do a lot for me.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Beautiful model, adorable dress.

The props don't do a lot for me.

Best regards,

Doug

Thanks Doug!

She collects crystals. There will be at least one picture where their presence is natural. When we start, models bring favorite things, a special dress, a teddy bear or perhaps a crucifix. This is my first introduction to the magic of crystals. A lot of folk believe they generate energy fields that resonate with the human spirit. I have no idea where these ideas come from but this seems to me to be related to "homors" and "life forces" of medieval medicine! Certainly, these are as valid beliefs current in humanity as so many others that folk will die for!

The difference here is that the objects themselves are intriguing, handsome and do indeed have a special aura and presence that other faith-based talisman don't always possess!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Asher, that's the level playing field I like, it opens our eyes up to another state and one that we may not have considered before. It's always best to see all sides of things.
As for an image that has been considered the final 'take' on things, I still think it's important to give one's view on what they see. A good or great work should always be able to stand up to criticism...and if it is critiqued there better be a worthy knowledge behind the critiquing.

Good to hear your image here is a preparatory one.

Regards...

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

She collects crystals. There will be at least one picture where their presence is natural. When we start, models bring favorite things, a special dress, a teddy bear or perhaps a crucifix. This is my first introduction to the magic of crystals. A lot of folk believe they generate energy fields that resonate with the human spirit. I have no idea where these ideas come from but this seems to me to be related to "homors" and "life forces" of medieval medicine! Certainly, these are as valid beliefs current in humanity as so many others that folk will die for!

I understand.

The difference here is that the objects themselves are intriguing, handsome and do indeed have a special aura and presence that other faith-based talisman don't always possess!

Perhaps.

But this photo doesn't do them justice. It makes it look as though the precious subject collects dough.

On the other hand, her pose and expression are just wondrous. She is beautiful beyond belief in face and form.

All in all, I would say it was one of your better trips to the pharmacy!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Well then, Doug,

Let's return to some color then!

_mg_2845Layered master-flat 2 OPF2.jpg

Asher Kelman: Shelise with Crystals #1

Color, Canon 6D 50mm 1.2L

I hope this finds more favor in your eyes!

Asher

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Well then, Doug,

Let's return to some color then! This is before the Nik conversion mushed the crystals!

_mg_2845Layered master-flat 2 OPF2.jpg

Asher Kelman: Shelise with Crystals #1

Color, Canon 6D 50mm 1.2L

I hope this finds more favor in your eyes!

Oh, that is much better with regard to the crystals.

I really liked the "sepia" rendering, but indeed, the crystals suffered in that particular translation.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

Actually, Doug,

There's a learning point here. The crystals are lit with the same arrangement as the model. However, the texture and reflectivity of crystals os very different. They should be lit separately, less and probably from the side and even with polarized light to avoid glare.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Actually, Doug,

There's a learning point here. The crystals are lit with the same arrangement as the model. However, the texture and reflectivity of crystals os very different. They should be lit separately, less and probably from the side and even with polarized light to avoid glare.

Sure, no doubt.

It is unfair to expect these inanimate objects to compete with Sherise' beautiful face and fetching bosom, but you of course have pointed out the important role they play in the overall story here.

Perhaps until you are able to have Sherise revisit for a re-shoot (tough work, but somebody has to do it), you might want to look into isolating the crystals and seeing what type of processing might give them a bit more "pop".

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi Doug,

When we shoot more, I will light them separately. I just didn't think of it as to me it was no different than being another "chatka" or friendly attachment. However, it's so different from flowers or a teddy bear or a scarf which usually demand no unique lighting. This, however, is more like the challenge of shooting a model with a diamond crusted watch and expecting to be paid for that!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Here is another picture in color. This is while awaiting the processing by the model herself.

_mg_2805_blue Crystal 4OPF 800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Shelise with Crystal #2

Canon 6D 50 1.2L

Enjoy!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Thanks, Doug! I am awaiting for Sherise to make her own edits of the pictures she likes the best. That means that I have left those ones for her creative touch. I might learn something from her! I only processed the ones I thought she wasn't going to touch immediately.

I have never done this before, but it is easier for me to let go as I am so much involved with sculpture and don't have to protect my ego so much!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi,k Asher,

I am awaiting for Sherise to make her own edits of the pictures she likes the best. That means that I have left those ones for her creative touch. I might learn something from her! I only processed the ones I thought she wasn't going to touch immediately.

Oh, of course. You had mentioned that at the outset (but I have slept since then).

I have never done this before, but it is easier for me to let go as I am so much involved with sculpture and don't have to protect my ego so much!

Sounds like a plan to me!
And good luck with the sculpture.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Thanks Michael, Tom, Doug and Paul,

I appreciate so much your support and kind words. it's even more sweet when my first images get some justifiable negative cautions to see my star rise again!

Lesson taken!

Asher

Here is another picture in color. This is while awaiting the processing by the model herself.

_mg_2805_blue Crystal 4OPF 800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Shelise with Crystal #2

Canon 6D 50 1.2L

Enjoy!

Asher

Asher, this one is just superb. I'm not taken with the stones that much, as they personally don't speak to me as I don't understand it. Nothing wrong with it, people are allowed to believe what they wish, and if I don't get it, that's fine.. if it makes her life better... so be it.

You had a picture by another young woman with a teddy bear and that I could look back to my childhood and comprehend. But, saying that, if the stones have got to be there, this one seems so much more natural than the first.

As for the woman, wow... she is truly lovely and makes a great model and I can see you using here for many photos to come and hope she allows you to do so.

Glad to see that you have not lost your charisma and were able to charm this beauty as it tells me that you are doing just fine! :-D

:) Maggie

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

Asher, this one is just superb. I'm not taken with the stones that much, as they personally don't speak to me as I don't understand it. Nothing wrong with it, people are allowed to believe what they wish, and if I don't get it, that's fine.. if it makes her life better... so be it.

You had a picture by another young woman with a teddy bear and that I could look back to my childhood and comprehend. But, saying that, if the stones have got to be there, this one seems so much more natural than the first.

Thanks for the special is it and heartfelt comments!

When I photograph women, (who are not models), the collaboration changes the boundaries and dimensions and form of "self-image". So much so that I have accidentally come across a first step: allowing the model to bring with them a talisman or concept that is dear to them and provides "security".

As for the woman, wow... she is truly lovely and makes a great model and I can see you using here for many photos to come and hope she allows you to do so.

Glad to see that you have not lost your charisma and were able to charm this beauty as it tells me that you are doing just fine! :-D

Maggie,

Yes, she's adorable and I am fortunate that I am trusted. Steel is much harder to work with and cannot transport itself, has no idea how to pose and is much more dangerous to work with.

Worse, steel does not give me a warm smile and a soft hug when it arrives at my door!

However, steel, especially in monumental form, open to the sky, once formed, can last the wind and rain and even hurricanes. It projects itself without reviewers, magazines or knowing the right person.

Strangely, I want both!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Yes, she's adorable and I am fortunate that I am trusted. Steel is much harder to work with and cannot transport itself, has no idea how to pose and is much more dangerous to work with.

Worse, steel does not give me a warm smile and a soft hug when it arrives at my door!

However, steel, especially in monumental form, open to the sky, once formed, can last the wind and rain and even hurricanes. It projects itself without reviewers, magazines or knowing the right person.

Strangely, I want both!

Not strange at all.

Best regards,

Doug