• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tenderness of spring (tulips)

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi Asher

these tulips grow in our garden (planted by me :) ), my wife does the arrangements and I take the pictures and in this special case I changed the base for the pot by using some sheets of white silkpaper.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher

these tulips grow in our garden (planted by me :) ), my wife does the arrangements and I take the pictures and in this special case I changed the base for the pot by using some sheets of white silkpaper.

All fits together so well and the shape of the "table" makes sense!

Asher

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi Maggie,

thanks for your kind annotations!
The grey light of a cold and cloudy springday is the perfect partner when it comes to light a scenery :)

btw: how do you do your lightsettings? They seem to be very sophisticated ...

Hi Maggie,

thanks for your kind annotations!
The grey light of a cold and cloudy springday is the perfect partner when it comes to light a scenery :)

btw: how do you do your lightsettings? They seem to be very sophisticated ...

Hi!

Actually, my lighting is not sophisticated and I work from the gut.. meaning I don't have a specific technique, but move things around until they look the way I want, if that makes sense. I was just looking at your image called Explosion and I see technique that I use.

Although I sometimes use flash, I much prefer window lighting and light that comes at a slightly higher angles, but either from the side or from the back. It is extremely rare that I shoot with light directly on my subject. I don't want the shadow behind.. I want it either to the side or the front. I expose for the flowers, of course and use gobos (made out of bits of cardboard or styrofoam with cardboard on it) to help me to direct where the light will be and where it can also stop light from falling if I need it. Nothing bought, just created and throw away. Oftentimes, the detail in the front of the objects are not light enough, because of how I use the light, but I open up the shadows in post. I do not have qualms about that, I just do what I think looks good to me. Although I could shoot with a 50mm, or a wide lens, I prefer to shoot with a macro lens, but pretty much as if it were a portrait lens. I use a 105mm macro... I just like the look. So, as you can see, very unsophisticated.. actually pretty rustic and some may say vulgar. ha! Oh, well. You asked :-D

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi Maggie,

just the way I hoped deep in my heart: it's nothing but the basics ...
I'm consistently fascinated how much can be done by using just two windows ...
Thanks for your interesting input!