• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Athentec "Perfectly Clear"

Doug Kerr

Mostly by accident I became aware of the Athentec image enhancement program, "Perfectly Clear". It looks interesting.

Has anyone here had any experience with it?

Here is a link to the site, a special page linked to by Ken Rockwell that offers the product at a discount.

http://www.athentech.com/affiliates/rockwell

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mostly by accident I became aware of the Athentec image enhancement program, "Perfectly Clear". It looks interesting.

Has anyone here had any experience with it?

Here is a link to the site, a special page linked to by Ken Rockwell that offers the product at a discount.

http://www.athentech.com/affiliates/rockwell

Likely as not, Doug, I make more typing errors than most. Excuses are just excuses, we just are so imperfect! Another unjustified inherently stupid excuse!

I thought we were going to discuss matter that were authentic in photography. So perhaps it meant not erasing stray trash or the red spit that just appeared on her forehead!

No, you were referring the something else! At least I thought, “Ahah! I just caught my engineering buddy in a rare goof-up!”

But it was beyond that it was not misspelling authentic, but the corporation, “Authentech”, LOL

This is a rare event like the total eclipse of the sun, (or Donald Trump taking responsibility for dividing us as a distraction while he gives his rich friends tax cuts and freedom from regulations that protect the planet).

Anyway, the company does seem to make a software worth trying.

If you register with them, they will send you a voucher for 15% off.

The code is CLEARLY15

That gets you 15% off but the trial is actually free anyway, either as a plug-in for Photoshop or as freestanding!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Likely as not, Doug, I make more typing errors than most. Excuses are just excuses, we just are so imperfect! Another unjustified inherently stupid excuse!

I thought we were going to discuss matter that were authentic in photography. So perhaps it meant not erasing stray trash or the red spit that just appeared on her forehead!

No, you were referring the something else! At least I thought, “Ahah! I just caught my engineering buddy in a rare goof-up!”

But it was beyond that it was not misspelling authentic, but the corporation, “Authentech”, LOL

The name of the company is (this copied via the Windows clipboard from their Web site): Athentech Imaging Inc. I hoped I had spelled it (in its short form) correctly in my post.

Their site says:

Our inspiration is Athena, the Greek goddess of wisdom and justice.

This is a rare event like the total eclipse of the sun, (or Donald Trump taking responsibility for dividing us as a distraction while he gives his rich friends tax cuts and freedom from regulations that protect the planet).

Anyway, the company does seem to make a software worth trying.

If you register with them, they will send you a voucher for 15% off.

The code is CLEARLY15

That gets you 15% off but the trial is actually free anyway, either as a plug-in for Photoshop or as freestanding!

They seem to have a "lite" version which is just plain free, but only in the plug-in form.

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

I feel like paraphrasing Ansel Adams and saying: "There is nothing worse than a perfectly clear image of a fuzzy concept."

Robert Watcher

Well you made me curious Doug. I have quite a bit of client portrait work that I am processing, and so I downloaded the trial and have been playing with it for the last 30 minutes or so.

I have to say that there is a lot of functionality and fine tuning of every adjustment that can be done. The AI in recognizing faces and identifying different parts of the face to effect is really quite impressive.

Here are a few screenshots as I applied the basic Beautify preset to see if the algorithms would take things too far or not - and then on the second shot of the teenage girl, I went a step farther by applying the Beautify+ preset which actually narrows the jawline and then finally applied my own interpretation by adjusting the final Beautify+ effect and lessening some of the adjustments.

I could certainly see the value speedwise if I had a bunch of headshots where I could clean them up in 15 minutes as opposed to that much time or more per image. Now whether I am going to fork out $100+ USD - that is another story. I have a pretty decent workflow for doing this type of work in LR/PS so it’s not likely to happen for me at this point in time —— but you never know.

———-

Robert Watcher

32B87AFB-3E5A-4A21-8334-F432F201DDBA.jpg

166C3C62-1BD9-4162-AFF1-B6332ED170D4.jpg

531E7A99-869E-43DB-9A2F-AC67672729B7.jpg

71F699CC-B94C-40B2-80AA-58601041C6A4.jpg

Asher Kelman

Seems pretty good for something quick. I resent having to spend hours and I prefer not to send JPGs out of the camera without clearing GR the skin of obvious temporary blemishes, like the forehead in the last shot.

Robert,

Thanks for sharing your experiments. It’s helpful!

So as a one time purchase with a 15% discount this is not bad as one is buying back one’s time.

Currently I just bite the bullet and send I corrected JPGs as I do not have time to correct the 50 best pictures of a shoot when they are going to choose 10-16!

For folk who do not have hundreds of pictures to process, and just say 12 for a show, this might not make sense.

I have not used Portrait Pro for bulk work since I need to always dial back physical alterations to shape of the jaw, size of eyes and the like. I occasionally allow a tad of that but really I am ashamed of deforming soneone’s face. But for artwork, not related to that person, I might in the future also trespass and alter shapes.

It appears that this new program does something similar but faster! As long as one can save a limited set of presets without resculpting the face, this could be very useful.

The main need is to intelligently deal with skin texture and coloration problems and lighting optimization, reasonably bright eyes and teeth and not too unruly hair!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Robert,

Well you made me curious Doug. I have quite a bit of client portrait work that I am processing, and so I downloaded the trial and have been playing with it for the last 30 minutes or so.

I have to say that there is a lot of functionality and fine tuning of every adjustment that can be done. The AI in recognizing faces and identifying different parts of the face to effect is really quite impressive.

Here are a few screenshots as I applied the basic Beautify preset to see if the algorithms would take things too far or not - and then on the second shot of the teenage girl, I went a step farther by applying the Beautify+ preset which actually narrows the jawline and then finally applied my own interpretation by adjusting the final Beautify+ effect and lessening some of the adjustments.

I could certainly see the value speedwise if I had a bunch of headshots where I could clean them up in 15 minutes as opposed to that much time or more per image. Now whether I am going to fork out $100+ USD - that is another story. I have a pretty decent workflow for doing this type of work in LR/PS so it’s not likely to happen for me at this point in time —— but you never know.

Thanks so much for going to the trouble of doing that. It gives a very good idea of what it can do on portraits. It looks very impressive.

Actually, my greatest interest for this software was not portraits but landscapes and the like. I have been doing most of my portrait "fixing" with PortraitPro, and in fact yesterday paid for the upgrade to version 18.1, but I haven't had a chance to do any work with it yet.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Robert,

Thanks so much for going to the trouble of doing that. It gives a very good idea of what it can do on portraits. It looks very impressive.

Actually, my greatest interest for this software was not portraits but landscapes and the like. I have been doing most of my portrait "fixing" with PortraitPro, and in fact yesterday paid for the upgrade to version 18.1, but I haven't had a chance to do any work with it yet.

Doug,

Why don’t you also try out Landscape Pro from Anthropics too?

I will experinentcwith it myself!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I have not used Portrait Pro for bulk work since I need to always dial back physical alterations to shape of the jaw, size of eyes and the like. I occasionally allow a tad of that but really I am ashamed of deforming soneone’s face. But for artwork, not related to that person, I might in the future also trespass and alter shapes.
Asher

Asher
I use portrait pro quite a lot.
I also do not want to shape differently, but like to enhance light/shadows and skins.
There is a setting in Portrait pro to disable shaping :)
I always work on a layer and use to get that layer 30 to 50% opacity.
Never had any complain!