• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sandstone Buttes

Alain Briot

pro member
Another image from the Phase One P45:

Teepees.jpg

I am interested in starting a discussion about composition and color palette.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great, Alain!

This is a good idea. The pictures is an interesting challenge for ranges of color. could you give us a number of 100% cut outs from different areas representing the variety of local color.

One cannot get a full grasp from the ~400 pixel wide image alone. Or else could you post a larger image.

Thanks,

asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Hi Asher,

That's the standard size I use for web display. I don't have other sizes or cutouts for web use.

The images on my site are all this size. They have generated thousands of prints sales, so they must be sufficient for evaluation purposes or else I would not receive that many orders :)

Asher Kelman

Fine! However, your website is directed to an audience of people that follow everything you do. They take courses, know your work, like it and are a particular selected audience.

Here however we are more diverse. Getting any web size is trivial. Similarly cutouts for one picture takes 20 seconds a piece. By contrast, our appreciation is 100 times greater.

If the picture was a portrait, there's often so little need for detail. That size works fine. Many of your landscapes might work. This one however would be best for us larger if you can do it.

Thanks,

Asher

Asher Kelman

If however, Alain, you feel you can present the ideas as is, that's what we'll do, on se débrouille!

:)

Asher

Another image from the Phase One P45:

I am interested in starting a discussion about composition and color palette.

Hi Alain,

I am thinking, with those rocks and the mindblowing landscape at hand, one will have difficulties creating a really bad composition. Just kidding. ;)

But seriously, I am also having difficulties to fully appreciate the composition in the offered size, hence you have to take it with a shovel of salt what I am saying.

Just a few thoughts Alain; I would think that the composition would not work that well, if there would not be this little tree? bush? to the very left lit up by sunshine. This little green makes all the difference to me on this composition, but, and again, it is just my own preference, I would have cut out more from the left, simply because there is this other growth that distracts me from the sunlit "tree".

ce7d6e5262c55ac62292d3f65ac676ef6g.jpg

Unfortunately as we can see, this would place the "tree"uncomfortably to much to the left in the composition to really work, so I would have tried to step more to the left in an attempt to isolate and emphasize the "tree" in this shot.

As for color palette, I am not sure what you mean by that, do you mean the quality of the color rendition the P45 provided you with in this shot? Or do you mean something else?

Alain Briot

pro member

As for color palette, I am not sure what you mean by that, do you mean the quality of the color rendition the P45 provided you with in this shot? Or do you mean something else?

Color palette is the selection of colors used in a particular image, or series of images. In painting it is the colors the painter places on his physical palette. However the term is used metaphorically when talking about artwork to describe the range of colors used by a specific artist. The basis for this concept being that we don't have to, and in fact rarely do, use all the colors of the visible spectrum :)