• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

UV Nikkor 105 does Gazania rigens

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Gazania rigens shot using the UV Nikkor 105mm at f8.

Visible light:
163317575.5UC3TjgL.GazaniaWVISP1250453a_c.jpg

Ultraviolet light:
163317576.LmXssK7D.GazaniaWUVP1250456b1_c.jpg

Bee vision (simulated):
163317578.qrhsFgkI.GazaniaWBV2P1250469b_c.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Intensity of insect perception beyond color!

Gazania rigens shot using the UV Nikkor 105mm at f8.

Visible light:
163317575.5UC3TjgL.GazaniaWVISP1250453a_c.jpg

Ultraviolet light:
163317576.LmXssK7D.GazaniaWUVP1250456b1_c.jpg

Bee vision (simulated):
163317578.qrhsFgkI.GazaniaWBV2P1250469b_c.jpg

I'm so sorry for the butterflies and bees that they do not see as we do. The first image is so beautiful. The others, mimicking the insect;'s view, appear by our standards much more diluted in impact.

But it could be that the insects, which have compound eyes, see much more nuance in detail than we do at the viewing distance as they can build up a far more detailed movie of what is going on. When identifying the texture and nature of a detail, their simple but marvelous neurocircuits must do wonders with the multiple close but distinctly different angles that the moving information provides them. surely this is processed differently that we might expect. So to imagine bee vision, perhaps we need 3D glasses and some ability to look at the image from different angles.

3D acquired from so many angles must give extraordinary depth perception and allow for algorithm to pull out detail we might miss.

So while I might be sorry that the bee cannot appreciate your first Nikon image, Klaus, I am sorry that we do not have real time multiple lenses to get their extraordinary sense of dimension that they take for granted!

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Actually, the vision of a bee and butterfly is rather blurry compared to our human standards, especially when further away and better the closer it gets. Hence why some plants have developed flowers with rather bright (UV-) markers for them to get visible and standing out quite boldly against the grass and background - even against flowers without such markers, developing a competition edge ;-)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm surprised that all those eye units don't give the little critters some exquisite advantage over us! After all a compound eye seems ideal for looking more critically at structure!

Asher