• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Two two-color abstracts

Chris Calohan

I don't mind the bright spots but think they are a bit too hot and the one on the "needle" at the top, too big. I love how you've treated the fluting of the column (at least that's what it appears to be) and the subtle color toning is a testament to a great lens, careful attention to the light and a damn good eye.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It is good to keep older photos - even if these seem not good enough on first sight.
Sometimes I find things I did not like immediately, but time can change views.

this bus station:

Michael,

This is outstanding and important! It has your hallmark precision of framing and focus and very unique angles. Given the title and the near perfect illusion of a flat form of colored surfaces, the reflections might be considered inescapable relics of the reality, when we are actually trying to be separated and abstracted away from that past. So perhaps there should be no reflections at all. The realistic shading however, is fine as it will work still as abstract as the gestalt of the work is now 2 dimensional and we suppress the dimensionality of the shading of the curved surfaces as now being either patterns or else merely "abstractions" of round form.

Was this framed as such at the time or this was mined from the old original?

Asher

Also, for something really interesting, one could also explore this further with effects of simplifying the abstraction with a Photoshop plugin, "Simplify".

Michael Nagel

Chris,

Thanks for looking. Yes, now as you name it, the highlights of the lamp (LED) is a little disturbing. I should have captured these better.

More technical information on the first shot is here.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Thanks! I did not think of a two-dimensional representation, this is worth to be explored further. I will have to see what GIMP has to offer for this...

What you see is a slight crop of the original photo (more than 80% are still there). I could have removed a cable fixture by editing it out, but this goes beyond what I would consider as 'representation of what I saw'.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Expanding this a little, here are two more abstracts of the same structure which do not fit the original title, but should be here.

I know that there are two disturbing highlights on this one, but hey - this is as seen.

Best regards,
Michael

It is good to keep older photos - even if these seem not good enough on first sight.
Sometimes I find things I did not like immediately, but time can change views.

Here are two detail shots of this bus station:

Green-White Abstract[/CENTER]

Best regards,
Michael

Hi Michael,
I think this is an interesting series but I have to say, that this one, Green-White Abstract is so gorgeous; I would put this on my wall. Of course, I know it is a building, but in my mind's eye, it's a hidden secret passage into the underworld of the petals of a flower. Beautiful!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Expanding this a little, here are two more abstracts of the same structure which do not fit the original title, but should be here.

I know that there['s] [ ] disturbing highlights on this one, but hey - this is as seen.

Michael,

You are the artist here! If Ansel Adams could use ink and a scratching machine to etch on detail that was not there, lesser mortals can get rid of highlights, LOL! Already, the truth is altered by recording the image with optics and sensitivity different from our eyes, so none of us are pure, anyway!

Also, your art earns it way, so you have the right! After all, you could have bracketed the shot!

Asher