• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Underground Stations have their own beauty

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Three more...

Wettersteinplatz - horizontal

Wettersteinplatz - Quadrat

These two have remarkably different sensibilities. The first shows a closer view of the waiting travelers. The second views them from a god-like distance and so, perhaps, we might tend to reflect on them and likely too, our own importance in the greater scheme of things. so these are an excellent pair to be experienced together.

This next one is much different.

Candidplatz - Ausgang

There's a sense of bleakness but solid assurance here, even though it's utterly empty of people. Being underground and making the place people friendly is a huge challenge. The marvelous architecture you bring to us, Michael, is a wonderful example of German ingenuity, creativity and attention to detail and form.

I have not, as yet, every seen the Los Angeles underground stations, even though they have tours. That's something I must do, but I expect the are much more simple and the ART is added as afterthought installations to make the places inviting. In your stations, by contrast, the artistic design is already so ambitious and impressive that there seems no need to add "ART".

Add to this your great eye for architecture, this magnificent series deserves and exhibition and a book!

Asher

Michael Nagel

There's a sense of bleakness but solid assurance here, even though it's utterly empty of people.
Emphasis added by me...

Thanks Asher, but did you see the silhouette of the person in the background? For me This is an an essential part of the picture, but maybe not clearly enough visible at this resolution and size.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

There's a sense of bleakness but solid assurance here, even though it's utterly empty of people.

Emphasis added by me...

Thanks Asher, but did you see the silhouette of the person in the background? For me This is an an essential part of the picture, but maybe not clearly enough visible at this resolution and size.

Michael,

I think I have lost my iPhone when it there in front of me, on top of a stack of portable hard drives. Trompe l'oeil!, I miss what's so clearly before me! It's good to be exposed as to how bad witnesses we are. I hate to give evidence in court since we don't see what's there and make up the rest. I'd have sworn on a bible that the place was empty ……..and I'm a trained observer……. and once again I'm humbled by reality.

Now I have to start at the beginning and see what else I have missed!

I will try to be more observant!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

I think it is your perception.

The idea behind the composition is simple:
Take a surface with parallel lines - the corrugated steel and a square shape and determine which composition suits the best the relative placement.

A remote inspiration is a visualization used by Kraftwerk on their concerts or some of their videos. The elements are a line, a square and a triangle (obviously missing here).

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Asher,

I think it is your perception.

The idea behind the composition is simple:
Take a surface with parallel lines - the corrugated steel and a square shape and determine which composition suits the best the relative placement.

A remote inspiration is a visualization used by Kraftwerk on their concerts or some of their videos. The elements are a line, a square and a triangle (obviously missing here).

Still, Michael,

You've given me a lot with your disarmingly simple composition. Good for my brain and my heart!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Samsung S10 for those who are interested.

For a moment I thought you were selling your Samsung for $10. I thought that’s really cheap!

Asher Kelman

It’s received with joy, Michael!

I am once more impressed by the brace geometry everywhere, even the ceiling.

Großhadern - Aufzug
We think we are in some cave and then the bright yellow columns each side of the glass elevator brings us back to the present and orthogonal reality!