• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Simplicity..

fahim mohammed

p2752020650-5.jpg

In life, as in photography.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
There is a bed below or a picture on the wall?

In any case, not a large room!

Asher

Hi Asher
How can yo see/guess the size of that room?

And, in any case, can you explain why the size of the room is important regarding "Simplicity"? Just curious!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher
How can yo see/guess the size of that room?

The position of that light is likely for either print in the wall, (but it is not the design for that), or a bedside light. That would imply that the bed is near the window. The curtains have some flair, but the nature of the simple draping is for a relatively small window. Hence the idea of a smaller room with a bed or desk close to a small window.

And, in any case, can you explain why the size of the room is important regarding "Simplicity"? Just curious!

Well, Nicolas and Fahim,

I have no certainty what the title "Simplicity" truly represents, (only you, Fahim have a very good chance of knowing that), but my working hypothesis has been that one can deduce the whole by seeing merely a portion! So I have attempted to figure out if I could come close to completing the puzzle!

Asher

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

That light, with what seems to be an adjustable mask, is most likely intended to light a piece of visual art on the wall.

Still, it could be a cookie press mounted on the ceiling to baffle us.

Best regards,

Doug

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Well the light on the ceiling might be used for a paint or a print on the wall of a gallery!

But for me, the size of the room is of no importance…

The simplicity stays with:
- 2 colours only (and sweet shades of grey)
- 2 different sources of light (day and electrical)
- 1 window with a curtain

And that's it!

Now one is free to imagine is own room!

A clear and simple concept, but it would be interesting that Fahim tells me if I'm completely wrong!

For me, as a real cartesian mind, the fact that the walls and ceiling angles are leaning… this goes -for me!- against simplicity…

Still an interesting and brain simulating very simple image…

Thank you Fahim!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nicolas,

I do not mind other folks choice of a non-orthogonal projection of their angle of of view! I only care about such personal choices when it would mean yet others are unfairly limited in some really significant way. That is not the case here. There was an idea in Fahim's head and what he did is put it, as best he could into this form. He is allowing us to essentially enjoy it or not as we see fit!

I would defend almost any choice of viewing angle as a basic principle. I myself might want to crowch down or even lay flat on the ground. So I almost never object to odd angles in artistic expression and although I might not agree with that as the best choice, I will strive to harvest the fruit of the offering as given.

I imagine that Fahim looked up and was impressed that one didn't need to capture all of of the room as designed by the architect and fitted out by the decorator. Rather this slice, was itself impressive and interesting. Nothing more was thought to be needed, not even orthogonality! Sorry for that!

p2752020650-5.jpg

Fahim Mohammed: "Simplicity"

"In life, as in photography."

We have the intelligence to add the rest, (if we feel such a need), but it could be that Fahim wishes it to be viewed as "complete in itself"! Well there is the paradox of art! If it were utterly complete then we would have no choices to make and nothing to bring to it.

Whenever there's ambiguity, we are invited to solve a puzzle.

But the surprising and perfectly defendable answer to the proposition of an apparent "puzzle" might be that there is no puzzle at all and absolutely nothing missing!

MagrittePipe.jpg

It could be very much like the case of Magritte's picture of a pipe, not a pipe and not ever intended to become one!

Asher