• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The D850

Steven Sinski

with the info on the D850 finally solidified it seem that Nikon has taken to heart many of the wants and whims of the masses, and for the most part, packed them into a neat and handy tool. they also seem to be repeating the D3/D700 combo only now its the D5/D850.

this will be my first FF camera body purchase in 2 years as I have been shooting Nikons DX products the D7200 and D500

D7200
AF-S VR DX 16-80mm f/2.8-4.0E ED
ISO- 100
Focal Length- 52.0 mm (78.0 mm in 35mm)
Aperture- f/22
Exposure Time- 1s (1)
_D723568_DxO-L.jpg

D500
Nikon NIKON D500
Lens- AF-S VR DX 16-80mm f/2.8-4.0E ED
ISO- 14400
Focal Length- 16.0 mm (24.0 mm in 35mm)
Aperture- f/5.6
Exposure Time- 0.008s (1/125
_DS55342_DxO-L.jpg

Jerome Marot

with the info on the D850 finally solidified it seem that Nikon has taken to heart many of the wants and whims of the masses, and for the most part, packed them into a neat and handy tool. they also seem to be repeating the D3/D700 combo only now its the D5/D850.

The D850 is certainly a nice camera, but I do not understand the comparison with the D700. People who regretted the D700 mostly wanted a FX camera with not too many pixels, while the D850 has a rather high resolution. Between the D700 and the D850, Nikon issued several FX cameras in a similar form factor, all of which were arguably "replacements of the D700": the D800, D810, D600 and D610.

Steven Sinski

the concept idea at the time. buy the grip and use it with the right battery get up 8 fps vs 5fps out of the box. on the D700 when you added the grip and used the D3 battery (EN-EL4a) you actually increased the frame rate vs using the AA cells or EN-EL3a battery.
the original EN-EL3a battery voltage is 7.4vdc
the original EN-EL4a battery voltage is 11.1 vdc (which was the trigger voltage for the increase)
its sensor matched the D3 in size and MP
overall back then these made it a matching secondary body for the D3

the D850 uses the same concept going from 7 to 9fps

the D850 in DX mode has a pretty much a 20MP (L)* 5,408 x 3,600 (19.4 million) crop view so it acts like a D500 (including the AF coverage I think) with the ability to go on a long lens nicely and match the D5 MP.

when you look deeper it goes to match working between the D500 and D5 while on its own and at this point the versatility master giving something to everyone of both frame windows of course depending on their perspectives of shooting in the case of mine which is highly varied.
none of the other grips from the cameras mentioned add the frame rate capability that the D700 (also D300 same grip) and the now D850 does.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

this will be my first FF camera body purchase in 2 years as I have been shooting Nikons DX products the D7200 and D500

_D723568_DxO-L.jpg

D7200 AF-S VR DX 16-80mm f/2.8-4.0E ED ISO- 100
Focal Length- 52.0 mm (78.0 mm in 35mm)
Aperture- f/22 Exposure Time- 1s (1)​

Steven,

This first picture is delightful. At first I thought you had stitched two frames, but presumably this is a crop?

You chose f22 so you could luxuriously keep the shutter open to get the more milky idiom of the water. It really is just to my taste. I don't like total "creamy" as there's no detail left. I myself don't own one of these really dark filters, but I would prefer to keep the aperture below f8.0 to have more of the sensors resolution.

Except in large format work, I never use f22, so that seems quite adventurous. The picture is fabulous.

_DS55342_DxO-L.jpg

NIKON D500 Lens- AF-S VR DX 16-80mm f/2.8-4.0E ED
ISO- 14400 Focal Length- 16.0 mm (24.0 mm in 35mm)
Aperture- f/5.6 Exposure Time- 0.008s (1/125)​

The second picture is also disciplined but in the way of architectural ways of looking at things and I like it too.

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

Steven Sinski

you and I think alike. many times people just do some effects to overkill. I like maintaining some detail of the actual "state" of a liquid.
minor crop but i'm a zoom guy which gives me split second adjustment capability

the tram was sort of a fluke. we were in Zurich airport on the terminal tram and my wife turned me around and said look. so I did and while the tram was in motion pulled out the camera and did a quick analysis shooting 4 images and serendipity filled in the gaps.

Asher Kelman

Steve,

Waterfalls occur often in pretty surroundings, all of which cry out for inclusion. So I find waterfalls to be so challenging to frame, what to exclude and the timing. I like spray, but one doesn't see individual drops unless one has an epilepsy-causing disco strobe light pulsing on the waterfall!

You have developed a happy mean!

Asher

Steven Sinski

back on the track of the D850. it seems that Nikon woke up and made sure that their software was preemptively ready for the new camera body. they brought out the updates yesterday on everything supported but the Windows Codec.

in addition with Nikon and Adobe working hand in hand the RAW component for PScc and i believe LRcc came out too.

so pretty much everything is ready for the new owners.

other software tools i use such as ACDsee and DxO will follow hopefully shortly.

fahim mohammed

The never ending cycle to make customers part with their money. IMHO.

" He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have. " Socrates

Asher Kelman

back on the track of the D850. it seems that Nikon woke up and made sure that their software was preemptively ready for the new camera body. they brought out the updates yesterday on everything supported but the Windows Codec.

in addition with Nikon and Adobe working hand in hand the RAW component for PScc and i believe LRcc came out too.

so pretty much everything is ready for the new owners.

other software tools i use such as ACDsee and DxO will follow hopefully shortly.

If one has Nikon glass, the 850 is a great decision. It has a reasonable body size to go with pro lenses, unlike the Sony A7R series using similar Sony sensors.

For me, I am set up with great vintage lenses already adapted for the A7R mount plus all of my Canon DSLR lenses. So I hovering to go for the Sony A7RII, with the fear that, my purchase will cause, will as usual, cause Sony to deliver the next model, this time around, the A7RIII, LOL!

Meanwhile I use mostly my Canon 5dII and a single lens, (my Canon 6D with the 24-105 was stolen), so I use only the 50 1.2L with stitching for wide angle. Not too efficient. I must charge up my Ricoh GRII and the 21mm add on lens and make life easier for myself!

I think it's about time I give my 4x5 LF a workout with a 66 mm lens. Much slower but a lot of fun!

Asher

Bear Dale

I've had the D850 now since late last year and it was 'the' Nikon body to get me to come over to the 'Dark Side' from Canon.

Just a fabulous camera, still learning a lot from it every time I use it.

Steven Sinski

versatility is it main capability.
a back room on Ellis Island:
_DSC6327_DxO-XL.jpg

Nikon NIKON D850
Lens: AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED
ISO: 20000
Focal Length: 22.0 mm (22.0 mm in 35mm)
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.16667s (1/6)
Date Taken: 2018-09-07 10:18:57
Copyright: sjms 2018

Hand held

Steven Sinski

over the "few" years I've been shooting I have not had a true "party affiliation" to any one brand. started out on Olympus in the '70s until essentially they abandoned the OM system. went to Nikon from the '80s to the early 2000s (started to dabble in digital in the '90s). in 2003 I went full tilt into digital with Canon. it was not a comfortable relationship. so much promise. less in return. from 2008 on to present I went back to Nikon. for me it feels more comfortable to use overall. I also have a sony RX100v5. darn good images with the ergonomics of an old Jello box. I have looked and used the A7xxx and A9 sony product but again they just aren't in my "comfort zone" in use. I have also have a few short times with the new Nikon Z7 but in owning a D850 I will most likely give the Z6 a go as a kit with the 24-70/4 and the much heralded FTZ adapter.