• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mac OS X 10.5.6

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi all mac users

Mac OS X 10.5.6 is out and can be applied thru the update menu.

you may also download the combo for offline updating. Here

Do not forget to repair permissions before applying the update!

Apple quotes:

About the Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update
Last Modified: December 15, 2008
Article: HT3194
Summary
The Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update is recommended for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard versions 10.5, 10.5.1, 10.5.2, 10.5.3, 10.5.4, and 10.5.5. It includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac.

Installation recommendations

Back up your computer prior to installing any updates.
Quit any open applications before starting the installation.
Do not interrupt the installation process.
You may experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modifications installed, or if you have modified the operating system through other means, or if you have moved Apple applications from their default locations (the /Applications or /Applications/Utilities folders). (This does not apply to normal application software installation.)
Installation options

Automatic Software Update

Choose Software Update from the Apple menu to automatically check for the latest Apple software.

Standalone installer

Apple Downloads offers a standalone installer that you can use instead, if you wish.

If issues occur during installation or if Software Update unexpectedly quits, please visit this article.

Products Affected
Mail, Mac OS X 10.5, iCal 3.x, MobileMe Sync, iChat, AirPort, Safari
What's new in this update?

Address Book

Improves reliability of Address Book syncing with iPhone and other devices and applications.
AirPort

Improves the reliability of AirPort connections, including improvements when roaming in large wireless networks with an Intel-based Mac.
Client management

Improves reliability of synchronizing files on a portable home directory.
Fixes an issue in Mac OS X 10.5.4 and 10.5.5 in which managed users may not see printers that use the Generic PPD.
Client computers that use UUID-based ByHost preferences now respect managed Screen Saver settings.
iChat

Addresses an issue that could cause an encryption alert to appear in the chat window.
Setting your iChat status to "invisible" via AppleScript no longer logs you out of iChat.
Resolves an issue in which pasting text from a Microsoft Office document could insert an image rather than text.
Graphics

Includes general improvements to gaming performance.
Includes graphics improvements for iChat, Cover Flow, Aperture, and iTunes.
Includes fixes for possible graphics distortion issues with certain ATI graphics cards.
Mail

Includes overall performance and reliability fixes.
Improves Connection Doctor accuracy.
Fixes an issue that could cause messages identified as junk to remain in the inbox.
Fixes an issue that could cause Mail to append a character to the file extension of an attachment.
Addresses an issue that could prevent Mail from quitting.
Improves reliability when printing PDF attachments.
MobileMe

Contacts, calendars, and bookmarks on a Mac automatically sync within a minute of the change being made on the computer, another device, or the web at me.com.
Networking

Improves Apple File Service performance, especially when using a home directory hosted on an AFP server. Important: If you are using Mac OS X 10.5.6 (client) to connect to a Mac OS X Server 10.4-based server, it is strongly recommended that you update the server to Mac OS X Server version 10.4.11.
Improves the performance and reliability of TCP connections.
Improves reliability and performance for AT&T 3G cards.
Updates the ssh Terminal command for compatibility with more ssh servers.
Printing

Improves printing for the Adobe CS3 application suite.
Improves printing for USB-based Brother and Canon printers.
Parental Controls

Addresses an issue in which a parentally-controlled account could be unable to access the iTunes Store.
Includes general fixes for time limits.
Resolves an issue that prevented adding allowed websites from Safari via drag and drop.
Time Machine

Fixes issues that could cause Time Machine to state the backup volume could not be found.
Improves Time Machine reliability with Time Capsule.
Safari

Improves compatibility with web proxy servers.

General

Includes Mac OS X security improvements. See this website for more information.
Addresses inaccuracies with Calculator when the Mac OS X language is set to German or Swiss German.
Improves the performance and reliability of Chess.
Improves DVD Player performance and reliability.
Performance improvements for iCal are included.
Fixes an issue when running the New iCal Events Automator action as an applet.
Adds a Trackpad System Preference pane for portable Macs.
Improves compatibility with smart cards such as the U.S. Department of Defense Common Access Card.
Updates time zone data and Daylight Saving Time rules for several countries.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Any further updates on how the upgrade affects your other software? Any new issues or everything is smooth sailing? :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Restored threads as one sequential conversation.

Nicolas Claris Remarks:

And backup prior to installing any update... you never know what can happen!

and repairing permission before and after update are the necessary things to do. Always.

I don't think that the French version is any diiferent, it is just a localisation, which as nothing to do with the deep code…

Yes I do know Cocktail and use it for years… but be carefull to use the version that is coreect for the OS you are running. Choose you version here: http://www.versiontracker.com/php/qs.php?mode=basic&action=search&str=cocktail&srchArea=macosx&submit=Go

I'm sorry to hear what happened to you Alain… unfortunately there are always some issues for some people at each update (macfixit.com is full of horror stories, but hopefully with some receipies…).

I did install this update on 3 different computers and all when smooth…

Alain Briot Replies

Nicolas,

Good point about Cocktail. I did have the correct version although I did not know there were several different versions.

I read somewhere that downloading the upgrade through a direct link instead of going through the software update option in the Apple menu works better and doesn't cause problems. Is that what you did? The download is over 600mb then.

Nicolas Claris Replies

I read somewhere that downloading the upgrade through a direct link instead of going through the software update option in the Apple menu works better and doesn't cause problems. Is that what you did? The download is over 600mb then.

Yes Alain, I downloaded the full combo… it is not that long with more than 22000 kb/s DSL connection… and then I can run it on all our Macs (6…)
I always do for important updates.

Quotes from my first post above:
you may also download the combo for offline updating. Here

Yes Alain, I downloaded the full combo… it is not that long with more than 22000 kb/s DSL connection… and then I can run it on all our Macs (6…)
I always do for important updates.

Quotes from my first post above:

Good approach. I don't mind the download times either -- as you say it's ok with a fast connection.

Alain Briot Replies

We also have many computers here, and on top of that we have a lot of printing to do for Xmas orders from my special offers. Not a good time to have to reinstall software that doesn't work well!

And I'm also working on my next book. I must (MUST) have the manuscript done by January...

Ken Tanaka adds:

Zero trouble after two days. No apparent difference on either MacBook Pro or Mac Pro...that's good news.

Nicolas Claris says:

Good approach.

Well, I had my first Macintosh (and an Apple writer!) in 1984…

Since then I had so many Macintoshes (and quite a few PCs too) that I think I have experienced all possible issues. Remember the bomb!

02-apple-innovations.jpg

LoL! (now…)

Macosbomb.png

Alain Briot Responds:

LoL! (now…)

My first Mac was a Mac SE in 1987 :) I also had the Apple ImageWriter LQ...

We've come a long way since then. I did keep all my macs. Call me sentimental. Fact is they're hardly worth anything and I have space to spare so why not.

Asher Kelman adds:

Well,

I have an Apple 2E and it had 128K of RAM and was considered the best machine on the block! The software was much more lean then. No one would dream of bloated code with gezillions of lines. Still, we ran spreadsheets, made slide presentations, I programmed an auto-generating art program, controlled scientific equipment and more with this one wonder!

Asher

Alain Briot Quips:

Asher,

You beat us all (predate) unless someone had a Lisa ?

Asher,

You beat us all (predate) unless someone had a Lisa ?

Nicolas Claris Adds:

Yep!
But I did not count them (3) because they were not mine, but owned by the company I worked for at that (Orwell?) time! (1984)
I remember we had one with, stay sat, a 5 Mb external hard drive! this was for the company's account department!

The 2 others, as my first Mac had only a 400 K diskette to run system, software and files!
You could then use another disquette, but at the beginning there were no external drive for disquettes (I had one é years later), so when using so, started the big game we called "toast session"! this was meaning that we have for loooooong minutes to change disquete one after the other in order to get the data stored on the "blank disquette".

I remember to have needed long time to understand the functionning of "font DA mover"…

Then came the miracle of Appletalk to link computers to computers and to share printers. Wow!

Yes Asher, you're right, this was time for very pure code written by SW engineers! but let's admit that we do know much more complicated/sphisticated works with computers than in that computer's middle-age…

nicolas claris

After updating to Mac OS X 10.5.6, Mail may unexpectedly quit. This can be caused by using a copy of Mail that wasn't updated properly (you may need to install the Mail Update).
The update can be downloaded from Apple website. Not thru the Apple menu udpdate.

Update

Karl Koch

After updating to Mac OS X 10.5.6, Mail may unexpectedly quit. This can be caused by using a copy of Mail that wasn't updated properly (you may need to install the Mail Update).
The update can be downloaded from Apple website. Not thru the Apple menu udpdate.

Update

Another culprit may be the GPG plugin (the free GNU pendant to PGP pretty good privacy), you´ll need to update that as well.

nicolas claris

Another culprit may be the GPG plugin (the free GNU pendant to PGP pretty good privacy), you´ll need to update that as well.

Thnaks for the info Karl

I guess you're right, but as far as I know, I don't use this plugin.

I did bring the info on the mail issue to share it, but I don't have the issue… Mail is working and very stable after (like before) the update to X.5.6

For those who use GPG plgin, here is a quote from the author:

Nov 16, 2008 - GPGMail & 10.5 (Leopard)
GPGMail doesn't work yet on 10.5, and can't work as-is. I'm currently working on the port, and published a beta version. Please subscribe to gpgmail-users mailing list to get informed about issues. Final release will come out... later.
IMPORTANT: You need at least GPGMail d55 since MacOS X 10.5.6; previous versions of GPGMail will crash Mail.
http://www.sente.ch/pub/beta/GPGMail_d55_Leopard.dmg
http://www.sente.ch/pub/beta/GPGMail_d55_Leopard.dmg.sig (signature)

Author's website