• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Processing for the consumer screen.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Hi,

We all of course have calibrated screens, work in controlled lighting, etc. Our screens are far from the general consumers.

However, many of us are presenting our work not as prints but for viewing on screen. Whether it be a wedding slideshow, a virtual tour for a potential buyer of a property, etc.

As a baseline I have always processed for print as default. In other words accurately. However given certain comments on my images by consumers I'm seriously thinking of building an action/preset and applying it to all 'web' images to bring it more in line with what a consumer will see as pleasing. Given that most consumer screens are heavily over bright/contrasty and very blue in colour this would 'correct' the true rendition to something darker and warmer so that it would be more pleasing.

I can't be the first who is looking to do this on a widespread basis, can anyone fill me in on what the industry is doing? Movies for example are presented based on a far brighter screen than print accurate in my experience. There must be an industry standard for this kind of thing, a default rendition that has been proven to be a good default relative to the consumer screen, not one of which is either accurate or indeed similar to the next one.

I'd be very interested in your thoughts.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ben,

What a great idea, to customize your output, beyond sRGB. One might look at the choices for HP printers and have choices like "Vivid", "Reserved", "painterly".

Actually, the choice they make will simply bring up a different set of files.

Asher

Andrew Rodney

There is as yet no industry solution to this issue, the industry in terms of color managed displays and web browsing is pretty dysfunctional and in flux. Best you can do is upload images in sRGB and hope for the best, hope that at least some users are calibrating their displays (properly) and viewing those images in a web browser or application that is color managed.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Problem is that most punters aren't viewing on a calibrated screen or even close to one. I think perhaps even a darken action to try and compensate for those 'center of nuclear explosion' bright consumers screens might be in order at least?

Asher Kelman

Problem is that most punters aren't viewing on a calibrated screen or even close to one. I think perhaps even a darken action to try and compensate for those 'center of nuclear explosion' bright consumers screens might be in order at least?

Ben,

What about my idea of giving versions?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

What about my idea of giving versions?

Would these attempt to precompensate for various conjectured improper display responses or viewing environments at the viewer's end?

Sort of like ordering a tablecloth for a 48" diameter table. The vendor would ship several, to accommodate how big 48" was at your house.

Best regards,

Doug

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
What for? When I provide a VT to a realtor he doesn't want 2 versions one of which will be irrellevant for 99% of his clientele, he wants something that looks good on his website, is simple to use and not confusing. With 100% (non photo conscious) consumer based viewing in mind, why would we process 'calibrated' in the first place?

Asher Kelman

What for? When I provide a VT to a realtor he doesn't want 2 versions one of which will be irrellevant for 99% of his clientele, he wants something that looks good on his website, is simple to use and not confusing. With 100% (non photo conscious) consumer based viewing in mind, why would we process 'calibrated' in the first place?

Why do you think HP gives options for consumer printing, like "vvid". That makes up for the folks lousy over-bright screens when the first print looks flat! You can have a simple option too. don't make t seem such a big deal. Have your best version and a vivid bright one. how easy is that. Maybe just show the two version to your client and ask which they like best.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Ben,

But how will you determine what "irregular" display profile you will use to get the best impact on the greatest numbers of actual viewers. Sounds like a very large field survey would be needed. (Thus I guess your question, "has somebody already done this", to which the follow-on would be, "and will they tell us their conclusions"?)

Best regards,

Doug

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Why do you think HP gives options for consumer printing, like "vvid". That makes up for the folks lousy over-bright screens when the first print looks flat! You can have a simple option too. don't make t seem such a big deal. Have your best version and a vivid bright one. how easy is that. Maybe just show the two version to your client and ask which they like best.

Asher

People like options for printing, they want choices of look. When someone looks at pictures of a house they will potentially buy they want to see a house, not choose from 5 different ways to view it.

Asher Kelman

People like options for printing, they want choices of look. When someone looks at pictures of a house they will potentially buy they want to see a house, not choose from 5 different ways to view it.

where is this going to be shown. In the realtor's office. Then you can customize it for that screen. On the web, use browser-safe colors in sRGB; that's all you can do. Netscape and the other main browser do this too. Not needed using an imac or Dell or other modern computer!

Asher

StuartRae

I believe that the terms "web-safe" and "browser-safe" apply only to indexed colour images such as GIF.

Regards,

Stuart