• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Thoughts on the Canon EOS-M family

Doug Kerr

As you may know, we are in the market for a new camera or camera system that will be used in a lot of situations rather than our Canon EOS-40 with a lens such as an EF-S 18-200 or an EF 24-105 F/4L.

The driver is to get something that is smaller and lighter, partially for ease of carrying (and even transport in the front of the car) and partly so it is not so obtrusive sitting on a dinner table.

In this connection we have ascertained that so much of our output is only onto Web sites, social media sites, and blogs, and into e-mail messages. Thus we feel that something with "modest" image performance may serve the purpose. So perhaps a camera with a modest size sensor (9.5 mm or so) might do the trick. Still, I hate to not have potentially better performance available.

And we think in terms of a non-interchangeable lens configuration, as such are typically smaller for any given range of field of view of the zoom lens.

Very important is speed of response. We find that even in situations one might not think of as "action" photography (photographing dancers in a ballroom context), even a modest shutter release delay can make getting the right shot difficult. And if the flash metering is not quick, that can exacerbate this matter considerably.

Another requirement is that there be some fairly good eyepiece viewfinder. Composing with the back panel display is very difficult outdoors, and I really don't like it indoors either - guess I am embarrassed to look so "touristy".

At the moment we have a "drop-dead" position of "get a Canon Powershot G16", and in fact we have an advance order for one in at B&H.

But we continue to be intrigued by the Canon EOS-M series, especially by the rumors that "soon" there will be one with an integrated EVF, and that "soon" there may be an EF-M zoom lens with a reasonable focal length ratio (we would like at least 1:5).

There has been concern expressed "around the circuit" that Canon is not (yet) really committed to the EOS-M system - that indigenous (Ef-M) lenses may be slow to appear. But I suspect our use of the camera will be such that we will only have one lens for it - ever. (Not one that yet exists, of course.) No,that will not be an EF-S 18-200 with an adapter.

So we may slow-roll the whole operation for a while.

Best regards,

Doug