• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Aloha From Maui

Stephen Holding

Aloha Everyone:

I was thrilled when I read Asher's comment in the Introduction about censorship and the direction other sites are taking. Discovering this one was a highlite in my photo initernet perousings.
I have been shooting portraits with wonderful creative & financial success since 1974 and find the intense debates over a $14 ebay item depressing after a while. I do not read the thrill of photography in these other sites. Only the size of their lenses.
I a tech geek to the end but that is not what brought me into photography. Asher made a point that I make mention all the time. The "counter talk" in the camera stores & labs across the nation. These were the original forums. Actually talking face to face.
I look forward to exploring these & other topics in this forum. And some tech stuff too.
Mele Kalikimaka & Hou'oli Makahiki Hou (Merry Christmas & Happy New Year)

Stephen Holding

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Stephen,

You are so welcome! Buying a camera requires just money and is not anything to be proud of. Making a picture with it, is!

This is what we are about and you've come to the right place.

I don't want to knock other sites. Each has its own character and utility. Here we try to be a little more relaxed about brand name loyalty and more into the what and why significence of picture making. We try to have less of an attitude of importance, except to try to share real things that we have experienced.

People here get to know each others work and it is enjoyable when someone poss and you recognize immediately that special, maybe as yet not-pin-pointed, characteristic "something" of the photographer evident in all their work.

At the same time we do share tech stuff and we have gearheads that can out-tech any nerds on the planet; when necessary!

We also have poets and philosophers, LOL!

Anyway, I look forward to getting to see your work and enjoying the exchange!

Asher