• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Striking Sunsets, Getting beyond Postcard-Pretty or Merely Sentimental!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
From my ongoing series "Cargos":

Looking East:

_NCZ1112.jpg

Right after sunset: No cargo!

NCZ_1370.jpg

Midnight…
Cargos de minuit, cargos de mes nuits…

Pentax 645 Z
1st with 120 mm
2nd with 5 5mm

PS Cargo stands in French for Cargo ship

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This one is about color...radiant, warm, glowing color.

14250560076_2a69a4c559_b_d.jpg

ease me gently into the night: chris calohan​

Chris,

I have never seen anything like this. The sun appears to be dropping from the sky. This is dramatic and unique and I like it. Certainly not just another sunset nor sentimental!

Asher

Asher Kelman

You're a great traveler, Antonio, so this could be almost anywhere, except Bangladesh. They would love to have boats like this but they neither have the money nor the wood.

I'd guess this is in Portugal near your home in Setubal. Interesting that the boats look the same, so I imagine they are for rental or part of a fishing business.

Asher

Asher Kelman

From my ongoing series "
Cargos":

Looking East:

_NCZ1112.jpg

NCZ_1370.jpg

Midnight…

Pentax 645 Z
1st with 120 mm
2nd with 5 5mm

A major change in approach to the sky, shooting in MF with a long lens like this gives is a more impressionistic effect.

These pictures are hugely ambitious in that they ask to get appointed to dominate a large room, printed at least several meters in size. They impart to me a sense of mystery of the unknown. where do the cargoes come from and who are the merchants and sailors? What risks have they taken? The origins, as sunsets are not as important here as we have entered a universe of enormous grand ships of the sky on whose success our very fortunes depend.

I commend you, Nicolas in going so far beyond the exact balanced and detailed imagery of your commercial work. Here is another side where you are not bound to please a client but just to allow your spirit to make the choices through the lenses you select.

Asher

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

Asher... I am not a great traveller. I wish I would.
The World is a very large place and the money is not much.
However, we - my wife and myself - we have already a nice collection of places we have been to.
Fahim, travels by far, much more than I do.

The image I posted was shot in Bali, Indonesia and not in Portugal :)
I am not very found of sunsets...
Regards :)

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Cargos[/B]":

Looking East:

_NCZ1112.jpg

NCZ_1370.jpg

Midnight…

Pentax 645 Z
1st with 120 mm
2nd with 5 5mm

A major change in approach to the sky, shooting in MF with a long lens like this gives is a more impressionistic effect.

These pictures are hugely ambitious in that they ask to get appointed to dominate a large room, printed at least several meters in size. They impart to me a sense of mystery of the unknown. where do the cargoes come from and who are the merchants and sailors? What risks have they taken? The origins, as sunsets are not as important here as we have entered a universe of enormous grand ships of the sky on whose success our very fortunes depend.

I commend you, Nicolas in going so far beyond the exact balanced and detailed imagery of your commercial work. Here is another side where you are not bound to please a client but just to allow your spirit to make the choices through the lenses you select.

Asher
Asher
Thanks!
Yes, it is always challenging to use 'unusual' tools, but this is a good way to learn, technically and artistically (if any in may case).
Pushing barriers and boundaries are fun and necessary (to me), I play but also I learn and usually it helps me to 'grow' in my commercial work. It is a whole, these are permanent(should I say embedded?) in my mind and that's one of the part of photography that I love.
In a way, this was in my mind when I wrote in another thread to Antonio, that it can be 'fun" to travel with one lens only (and if possible, a single focal lens).
Back to the cargo ships, below is the link to the whole series with the introductory text:

PS Note that most of the pictures of this series were shot with a 120 mm, a very few with a 55 mm (i.e. the night shot above) and one with a 90 mm.
Link

I like freighters and their raw power mixed with their relatively slow pace.
I like to see them passing along the horizon, coming from nowhere and en route to somewhere...
Their origin, their destination, their determination to go from one place to another delivering their unidentified freight all make me dream alike. I feel a real romance, a real justification for them to be there, then disappear.
They sail by, appearing and disappearing, whatever the seas are like.
I imagine men, far from home but looking to the successive horizons until the next stop, I know that life is not always easy on board, but they do their job… Obstination.
Was I a lighthouse keeper in a previous life ?

A tribute…

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

Asher - thanks.

Time for a new urban sunset.

Michael,

Assuming you have sufficient pixels, (and likely as not you have), this would be especially impressive printed so that the two figures on the lower right, resting and chatting as they contemplate the fiery sky, would be really most noticeable.

Your inclusion of these two characters converts, (what might be otherwise just another huge dollop of ravishingly beauty), to become identifiable with philosophical and metaphysical wonderings about our place in all this vast wonder of things.

Thanks for this enlightenment!

I enjoy this a lot! Print it!

Asher

Asher Kelman

And now for something completely different :p

33162129252_7d0d80a459_b.jpg

I recognized this bird of paradise and thought you had one of my pictures, LOL

But then I realized that I had no such picture! I just immediately "owned" your work as it's so resonant with my own esthetics!

This shows how dangerous it could be to give evidence under oath as one can delude oneself.

Anyway, nice shot!

Asher

K.Hannah

I recognized this bird of paradise and thought you had one of my pictures, LOL

But then I realized that I had no such picture! I just immediately "owned" your work as it's so resonant with my own esthetics!

This shows how dangerous it could be to give evidence under oath as one can delude oneself.

Anyway, nice shot!

Asher

lol Just as well I doubt that I will ever been called to the stand :p I am happy though that you wanted it! Means I might con some people out of their money ;p (just joking)

Michael Nagel

[Assuming you have sufficient pixels, (and likely as not you have), this would be especially impressive printed so that the two figures on the lower right, resting and chatting as they contemplate the fiery sky, would be really most noticeable.

Your inclusion of these two characters converts, (what might be otherwise just another huge dollop of ravishingly beauty), to become identifiable with philosophical and metaphysical wonderings about our place in all this vast wonder of things.
The people on the bridge were important for me - I would not have shown a view without people.

I went on that bridge crossing a street shortly after this picture and hat the occasion for a chat with the couple on the picture. They were enjoying the scene as most of the people passing.

This was taken some time later from the bridge.

Yes - there are enough pixels...

Best regards,
Michael