• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Aloha!

Marcel Walker

pro member
Aloha everyone,

I'm Marcel, just a gal living in the suburbs of Salt Lake City. While trying to surive the "domestication" of motherhood, I like to dream that someone will magically apprear to clean my house and cook all my meals. Aside from a lot of dreaming and playing with kids, I also like to do silly umiportant writing, hang out with fellow thespains, and take pictures of things that make me happy. Some days I think about getting into commercial photography. Some days I think about living in Australia. I'm pretty much am just a people picture taker (b-a-d at lanscape). I'm rarely serious. I'm really not sure what to do with myself as a photographer. I live in a market that is overly saturated with photographers, could really really use a desat tool. So I think this will be a good place for me to get some advice and insight from others who are on this journey as well.

P.S. I think Asher really is a BOT because I saw all the posts he wrote and there's a lot. If he is a BOT, he needs to work on his spelling. If he isn't a BOT, I hope he makes a thousand dollars a day for doing all the work to make this site possible (well maybe not all of it, but it looks like he does a lot). I want him to know that being PC isn't very fun and often not very honest.

P.P.S. How do you do the copyright symbol when you type text in CS2?

clavin_MG_6109+copy.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Aloha everyone,

I'm Marcel, just a gal living in the suburbs of Salt Lake City. While trying to surive the "domestication" of motherhood, I like to dream that someone will magically apprear to clean my house and cook all my meals. Aside from a lot of dreaming and playing with kids, I also like to do silly umiportant writing, hang out with fellow thespains, and take pictures of things that make me happy.
At this point, some guy is going to throw the fellow off the horse and then gallop away and up to your door to start cooking!

However, you see he's a ring-mark on his finger. Next the guy with the flag arrives and they go off into the sunset! You are still left thinking of getting into commercial photography and considering about the color of a Dutch girl's eyes!

(How did you guess? Yes indeed), some days I think about getting into commercial photography.
Well, why not?

Some days I think about living in Australia.
Well it's still pretty empty. Tell you the truth, Marcel, the pickings there are not much better! There are really no single crocodile hunters and wild rugged unshaven guys, that say "Good day mate", finding amazing rock art the aborigonies have forgotten. Those white guys, eat canned foods or snakes, can't get insurance now for their TV work or all have all been devoured alive by the crocodiles!

I'm pretty much am just a people picture taker (b-a-d at lanscape). I'm rarely serious. I'm really not sure what to do with myself as a photographer. I live in a market that is overly saturated with photographers, could really really use a desat tool. So I think this will be a good place for me to get some advice and insight from others who are on this journey as well.

Great! Then there's one path we can look at together. Just share your pictures and we'll have fun. You should get some foolish, fair, great or even useful feedback. Here you risk the replies of enthusiasts, engineers, brilliant artists, weekend camera hustlers, well-heeled working pros and prize winning super photographers. So you have to protect and believe in your own values but still be prepared to look at your work in new ways. The main thing is to have a dream, passion and a vision. These are the needed energies to make the difference between thinking of doing and getting it done.

P.S. I think Asher really is a BOT because I saw all the posts he wrote and there's a lot. If he is a BOT, he needs to work on his spelling. If he isn't a BOT, I hope he makes a thousand dollars a day for doing all the work to make this site possible (well maybe not all of it, but it looks like he does a lot). I want him to know that being PC isn't very fun and often not very honest.

You can easily catch my spelling errors! There will be many more! I'm detail orientated with existential matters like the choice of a climbing rope or the lens for my camera. Still, with substantial reviews of a photograph, chances are greater that there are no spelling errors as I go over these carefully. After, all, "The written lie is the biggest one!" (George Bernard Shaw). You may find quite a few of my posts get re-edited later as I catch up and correct what I missed.

Marcel Walker;57696P said:
P.S. How do you do the copyright symbol when you type text in CS2?
Option or Alt G, that it.

Now here's the bargain! You post your best images and we'll give honest not P.C. feedback. In return you'll look at other people's work and respond to them asking, "What is this?", "What's my visceral and intellectual reaction?", "What's it serve if anything and why or why not?", "What could I haver done better?", and "What's there here that I can find or show that might be interesting to others?"

Then I can do more of my own photography!

Again, welcome,

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
clavin_MG_6109+copy.jpg
[/QUOTE]

© Marcel Walker
Marcel,

The picture is wonderfully active. It's exciting and patriotic today on the 11th of September in the USA. I am sure that there were a lot of tears at the memorials.

I have issues with the composition. The rider and flag are powerfully placed but the picture either can be cropped even tighter or else might have been taken wider. Do you have others from that sequence? Did you add the vignetting? That helps a bit!

Asher

Marcel Walker

pro member
Thank you!

Thank you for the feedback on the picture!
I knew there was something that felt a little funny with this shot and I couldn't figure out what it was. It's the compo all right. I can go wider but not higher and don't have any others from the series that I like nearly as well. I kept the crop long because it felt more dramatic, but what you said totally makes sense. I re-edit and post later for some feedback. Calvin is magical on his horse, but he doesn't seem to be the type to do housecleaning. Thank you also for your enlightenment, I always thought the biggest lies were in the field of statistics.

You are smart Asher, maybe not a BOT, because your reasoning about spelling wasn't very BOTish. Your mispelling in one post was my clue that perhaps your weren't. If it's any comfort, I do want I am a fabulously terrible speller, my sentence structure is usually off, my grammar is consistently poor and I will out illogic you on any day of the week (I won't go back and check).

I think of moving to Australia not for the adventures that may awaite or the landscape but only because I have been inspired by the great literary children's masterpiece "Alexander and The Horrible Terrible No Good Bad Very Bad Day". You should be familar with this book if you consider yourself "well rounded", but maybe you're just skinny. It's also helpful to read if you ever have a bad day. Also it's a lot easier to think of moving to Australia than it is to think about getting into commerical photography, but I am thinking and working on it.

Will post more when have time.