• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Best wishes From New York

About me: A French National, I was raised in Abidjan Ivory Coast. In 1998 I started a career in the production world as a Unit Production Manager for a series of multi-media CD-ROMs taking photography inventories of all Touristic, Cultural and Religious sites in Tunisia. Since then I have worked in Film (Funny Games, dir Michael Haneke and Fortune, dir Peter Scarf), advertisement (Absolut Kravitz) and Video (The ReadSpeak and First Word literacy Projects). Earlier in my career, I served in the French Armed Forces briefing enlisted Special Forces personnel about the evolution of the geopolitical situation in Africa’s great lake region including the political, historical and geographical aspect of Uganda, Rwanda and Zaire. Since 2006 I launched in New York City ReelTag a production company specialized in advertisement and marketing films.

My professional life provides me with the opportunity to work with photographers on a regular basis. Hence my constant interest in following closely talents, discuss technical setups and brainstorm new marketing & documentary concepts...

As an example of what I do I have posted below a link to watch in a time lapse the painting of Lauren, OpenSkies first airplane. OpenSkies is British Airways new airline venture to take advantage of the Open Sky treaty between the U.S. and Europe. I produced this viral film through my company ReelTag and co-directed it with Dir. Thiago Da Costa who designed the workflow process. A technical achievement: In 10 days of work we shot over 20,000 pictures (1 picture every 30 seconds, 24 hours a day during 10 days) and 7 hours of video. We used a Nikon D 70 for the pictures and a Sony HDV Z1u for the video. We were 2 for the whole job. It was tough working conditions with a lot of hours and at times special equipment to protect us and the video equipment against paint fumes and corrosive solutions. Through a well thought work flow process we delivered the film 3 days upon our return from London-Heathrow airport. The film was featured on the airline company blog which was part of a successful brand co-creation & social media experiment. The video received 11,000 hits the first week.

You can watch the time Lapse at the 2 following address:

On ReelTag website ((high quality but you will need a decent connection for the streaming))
www.reeltag.com/openskiesv2

On YouTube (Easy to watch but low quality)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3qoQbZqhKw

I wish all of you a successful and creative year 2009,

JSB

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jean Seabastien,

Welcome to our community. You have travelled a long way to find us. I've seen your work and enjoy it very much. However it's speeds up time and I want to s l o w i t d o w n!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher - Thank you for your warm welcome.

Jean Sebastion,

We have a great love for the French! So please make yourself a part of our active community. We like the color and variety we have here and you will help this gamut of character! With this fast-video introduction to your work, being so strong, I hope you wont find it to sedentary just to post a few pics at a time instead of dealing with thousands! I'm still fatigued thinking about how hard you worked! I hope they fed you and stopped long enough for you to get bathroom breaks!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonjour Jean Sebastien !

Welcome onboard!

We're interested in all aspects of images… of course more stills than video, but still (pun intended ;-) we're avid (one more pun!) to see, watch, learn, share and exchange about all images produced. We love to hear the hows, but above all the whys…

So any pics, snaps or interesting news you can provide from your company will surely be worth watching!
Your pro advices will surely also help us!

As you have seen, one cannot read videos directly in OPF, but we know how to follow a link… :)

So, yes, welcome!

PS Just as a short notice, see our policy about advertising in OPF in the "Buy and Sell" forum…

Dear Asher,

British Airways staff treated me extremely well, thank you. It was my first time in the UK and as most of my French compatriots I had a vision slightly distorted by our history of military rivalry, sports rivalry plus a few clichés on British behavior. However between my film crew and the paint bay crew it was not Austerlitz or Waterloo but Austerloo. There was no rivalry or taunting, no winners or losers. There was just a band of helpful, skillful and committed fellow brothers and gentlemen helping us capturing over 20,000 pictures in order to document the birth of OpenSkies first airplane. We used camera control Pro 2 which allowed us to automatize the process of taking the pictures. It does go fast but it also provides the viewer with a rare glimpse of a 10 day industrial process in less than 2 minutes.

Bonjour Nicolas,

Good to hear from you. It does look like a video however 95% of the work was done with stills. Maybe I should start a forum named "films made out of stills" ;)
I did not find the policy about advertising in OPF. This being said if I broke any rules I'd be more than happy to re-edit my introduction; Do not hesitate to let me know.

I am looking forward to speaking with both of you in the forum section of OPF,

Kind regards,

JSB

A belated welcome from Texas Jean Sebastien. I thought the time lapse was very entertaining and well done. I know a lot of work had to go into creating something like that and I look forward to seeing more of your photographic work here in the forums.

You said you did some work in the film "Funny Games". What did you do? That movie was a very strange one to me. I liked it but after it was over I was wondering if there was something wrong with me because I did like it. We are so accustomed, in America anyway, to the "good guys" winning out in the end and the "bad guys" getting their just desserts, that when one comes along like this where the bad guys win, I think my brain has a hard time processing what I have just witnissed. That probably adds to the experience. Anyway I thought it was good and I remembered a photo I took last year that had something to do with this. We were awaiting that nasty old Hurricane Ike last year in Houston and I was watching the weather reports about it's impending arrival. If you look on the table top in the front of my television you will see the DVD case of your movie. It's a small world afterall.
James Newman
IkeReport-1.jpg