• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Chris Calohan's Artist's Statement

Chris Calohan

Every photographer I've ever know says it's all about the light, but only a rare few master the essence of light. I do not consider myself a master, but all my photographic energies are directed toward this understanding. From Kim Weston back to the iconic all time master, Ansel Adams, each shot I make in the fog reminds me of the difficulties controlling light has to offer.

Chris Calohan

Foggy Morning at Buttonbush

16714312025_f72e10e395_b_d.jpg

Name: Foggy Morning at Buttonbush

Panama City Beach, FL USA

Archival Digital Print

20x24in, signed and dated

an edition of 15 prints​

Chris Calohan

Old Sol's Old Soul

16527405438_73cfda36b0_b_d.jpg

Name: Old Sol's Old Soul

Archival Digital Print

16x24in, signed and dated

an edition of 15 prints​

Chris Calohan

The Trees, The Forest and the Fog

16096736324_89cc874999_b_d.jpg

Name: The Trees, The Forest and the Fog

Archival Digital Print

16x20in, signed and dated

an edition of 15 prints​

Chris Calohan

Soft Light

16876999085_a15582438b_b_d.jpg

Name: Soft Light

Archival Digital Print

13x19, signed and dated

an edition of 15 prints​

Chris Calohan

An Easy Friday Morning (Available as a companion piece to Soft Light)

16254635634_380e2d5de1_b_d.jpg

Name: An Easy Friday Morning

Archival Digital Print

13x19, signed and dated

an edition of 15 prints​

Chris Calohan

Chris Calohan is a classically trained artist whose photographic roots began in 1959 when his uncle brought him a Canon 35mm camera from Japan. Developing his skills and furthering his photographic knowledge, Chris explored photographic printmaking, alternative processes using digital negatives, film including color, transparency and infrared, hand applied emulsions and digital processes. A retired high school and college professor, Chris has worked professionally with some of the best printmakers and photographers in the USA to include Al Weber, David Vestal, Marianna Petris, Mary Dole, Maggie Taylor, Gary Sampson and Jerry Ulesmann. Furthering his skills, Chris has attended, developed or been an instrumental part in the development of the following workshops:

Bay High School, Panama City, FL Photography Teacher, 1994 – 2012

Frogman’s Press 2003, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD. Safe-Etch/Photo Etch

Adjunct Professor, Gulf Coast Community College: Digital Photography, 2006

Photo Formulary, Condon, MT, Traditional Black & White Photography at its Best /Adv Class. June, 2006, 2007. Assisting Al Weber and David Vestal.

Program Designer: Building Creative Futures, University of West Florida, 2009, an Art Educator’s Studio Retreat

New Hampshire Art Institute, Art Educator’s Workshop with Mike Ariel (Advanced Digital Imaging) and Gary Sampson (the Handmade Print), June 2011

Santa Fe Photography Workshops, Beginning and Advanced Alternative Processes with Christopher James, June 2009/2010, Santa Fe, NM, Studio Assistant 2010

Harn Museum, Teacher’s Art Institute, July 2009, 2010, 2011. Developed teacher instructional materials with artists Maggie Taylor and Jerry Ulesmann.

Presenter: Harn Museum, University of Florida, The Handmade print as an interdisciplinary vehicle for math, science, English and art teachers, Art Teacher’s Institute Workshop, July 17-19, 2011, co -teaching with Jerry Ulesmann.

In addition, Chris has won numerous photographic competitions to include:

Best of Show, B&W Film Division, Faces & Facets, a regional photography show, 2003.

First Place, Abstract, Digital, Faces & Facets, a regional photography show, 2013

Best of Show, Digital, Faces & Facets, a regional photography show, 2014