• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Help

toby creamer

I know it's not easy but can anyone offer advice on getting into sports photography in the UK? I am still at school but when I leave in just over a year's time it would be great to try and earn a little extra by doing some stuff. So far I photograph for my school and I reckon that I will have built up a fairly decent portfolio by the time I leave. The shots will mainly be rugby, football and cricket. What I would love would to be to shoot rugby union, I am always incredibly envious of those down on the touchline at the big events.
Anyway, if anyone can provide some useful help I would certainly appreciate it.
So far, since buying the 20D I have had little opportunity to shoot much but my best footie shots from last term are online at: www.tobycreamer.fpic.co.uk
These were all taken with a canon 75-300mm as I only bought the sigma 100-300 f/4 in the easter holidays so missed the football season.
Please take a look and any comments and critique would be appreciated.
Toby

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Toby
I'm just over the channel, but I think some receipies may be used in different areas. So:
You should manage to make photos different from those that can be seen in newspapers, you cannot be allowed on touchlines? Post even further, borrow longer focal, finds another point of view.
If it cannot be from right, try to do it from left, from close? get far! from angle? go to the opposite. React.
Print with a professionnal lab a selection of 15-20 photos and goe to see regularly newspapers editors, if your photos are good and if you show you can get what you want, they'll take some! may be hire you for the next match.
You may also try to get friends among teams and coach, give them some prints and ask them to let you come into their world, before, during after the match...

Bonne chance et bon courage!
PS it will be as difficult for you than for the players to win the game!

toby creamer

Thanks. On your point of taking photos from the stands at events, would I only be allowed to use them in my portfolio as you have to recieve permission from the venue to sell them don't you?

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
toby creamer said:
Thanks. On your point of taking photos from the stands at events, would I only be allowed to use them in my portfolio as you have to recieve permission from the venue to sell them don't you?
Bonjour Toby
sorry to answer so late but I was on 4 days shoot on location and no Internet around...
I'ts difficult for me to answer your question, sport photography is not my specialty and UK laws may be quite different.
There should be an UK sport photographer around, allo, allo!