• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

5D MkII image anomaly

Tony Whitaker

I have found an anomaly occurring when I shoot raw+jpeg. This manifests itself as a small array of red pixels near the middle of the image. It is 5 pixels H by 9 pixels W with brightest red running horizontal thru the middle then fading in both directions, similar to a jpeg compression array. I have narrowed down that it appears to be a problem with the jpeg processing rather than dead pixels on the sensor as the raw images do not display any error even when viewed at 3200% or pixel level. It is independent of lens or whether flash is used or not. It does not occur when shooting jpegs only. It is in exactly the same position on every image. Anybody else experienced this problem or any ideas on what may be causing it? Thanks

I have found an anomaly occurring when I shoot raw+jpeg. This manifests itself as a small array of red pixels near the middle of the image. It is 5 pixels H by 9 pixels W with brightest red running horizontal thru the middle then fading in both directions, similar to a jpeg compression array. I have narrowed down that it appears to be a problem with the jpeg processing rather than dead pixels on the sensor as the raw images do not display any error even when viewed at 3200% or pixel level. It is independent of lens or whether flash is used or not. It does not occur when shooting jpegs only. It is in exactly the same position on every image. Anybody else experienced this problem or any ideas on what may be causing it? Thanks

Hi Tony,

When you say it's not in the Raw data, be aware that some Raw converters eliminate Dead/Hot pixels without asking. The only way to really be sure is by looking at the Raw data itself. Also, when the same phenomenon occurs at the same position in different images, it would be suspect.

Cheers,
Bart

Mike Shimwell

Hi Tony,

When you say it's not in the Raw data, be aware that some Raw converters eliminate Dead/Hot pixels without asking. The only way to really be sure is by looking at the Raw data itself. Also, when the same phenomenon occurs at the same position in different images, it would be suspect.

Cheers,
Bart

I don't think DXo maps out hot pixels automatically, so that would be an alternative way to see if that's the problem. One or two hot pixels culd cause such a problem if they aren't mapped out.

Mike

Tony Whitaker

Thanks, Mike & Bart ... we (my son is a professional photographer also running a 5D mkII, and he's been looking into it with me) had considered this but because this problem does not occur when shooting only jpegs we had dismissed the possibility of a dead pixel. One thing we have not looked at yet is whether the problem occurs at all jpeg conversion settings as so far I have only ever operated with the large files. We'll try a series of test shots later today and see if we can work out just which combinations of RAW/jpeg are affected. Tony.