• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Getting Focus Distance

Doug Kerr

Hi, Rocky,

Would dearly love to be able to incorporate this data as part of my EXIF.

Do you have any particular camera in mind?

Some cameras report focus distance in their Exif metadata. Some report it, but it is not "correct". Some do not report anything of that sort. Some report it in the standard place, and others as part of their proprietary metadata.

Rocky Cookus

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I've heard that not all lenses collect this data. I use a Canon 1D Classic and a 10D, and the lenses I use the most, also made by Canon, are the 35mm f/1.4L, the 50mm f/1.4 and the 100mm, f/2.8

I also have a Speedlite 580EXII which I use for flash as well as focus assist. Seems like this data would be somehow extractable from that device, too..

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nill,

Similarly, at least in the case of Canon, some lenses report focus distance to the camera, and some do not.

Yes, but even if they do, the report in the Exif metadata may not be "correct" (for whatever reason).

Best regards,

Doug

Rocky Cookus

I just read an archived thread on this subject with some comments by Chuck Westfall. Well, perhaps with success of Nikon we may see such features along with some other cool things like the hyperfocal distance displayed, built-in wireless, etc...