• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Administrative: Site database hiccoughs!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm investigating a number of reported vanishing of posts when they are submitted. Some reappear so we get double posting. I have to check with our hosting company to make sure it's not for them or else it's from our vbulletin software.

I'm looking into this and intend to correct the issue ASAP.

If there is anyone who has skills in vBulletin, let me know so I can discuss any issues I discover with you.

In the meanwhile, try this if you get a database error.

1. Go back in your browser to your post in the dialog box

2. preview the message

3. post the message

You may get a message that this is a duplicate, but likely as not your message will be posted. I'll be on the lookout for duplicates. Bear with us as we work out way through this.

Thanks,

Asher

Asher Kelman

There's another issue. A post that seems to be rejected with that database error warning, when it does get posted, the count of replies may not increase. I replied to Don Cohen's red-throated hummingbird images and that was first rejected but then taken after I first looked at my post with preview. However, that did not change replies from 0 to 1!

Asher

Asher Kelman

If you have a problem posting, refresh the page and then the post will be accepted. The post count for the thread may not change.

Working to fix this.

Thanks for your patience,

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Sorry to hear about the hiccups Asher. I hope that you will resolve them soon.

PS: The error page I just got when I posted this one is the one I have complained about a month ago. At that time nobody else seemed to have experienced it and did not pay any attention to it. Pity really.

Asher Kelman

Sorry to hear about the hiccups Asher. I hope that you will resolve them soon.

PS: The error page I just got when I posted this one is the one I have complained about a month ago. At that time nobody else seemed to have experienced it and did not pay any attention to it. Pity really.

Well, it seemed like a hosting issue. I asked them and they said it was probably their servers but it was all OK after that. Now it's a repeated issue.

I'll upgrade to the next version of vBulletin 4.X

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well the post count is now going up when I post so that's good news. It's one short! Before it stayed at 0!

Asher Kelman

Rackspacecloud is worth every penny as they have live online support and then get you to a technician who can work on the issue quietly and correspond in the work ticket.

"Using your supplied login, I was able to login to the PHPMyadmin area and perform a Repair operation on the database tables.

Additionally the /forums/includes/config.php file had the wrong database password in place, I've updated it with the '******' password. At this time the forum appears to be properly pulling up, please verify if this has fixed your lingering issue".

So we are now up and running and I'm impressed that the hosting service would actually bother to repair the bulletin database!

To me, after gathering so many mysql identifying identifying data for them, (which was a pain in presence of a flood of spam emails, 2000 today), it's a great relief and July 4th gift to be back online again!!

Thanks to competent techs at Racksapce Cloud!

:)

and thanks to all those who kept the faith and those who emailed us with suggestions and support!

Asher

Asher Kelman

With the fixing of the database, either by happenstance or by connection, the flood of emails to me with no content and (No subject) as the heading and To Undisclosed recipients has subsided from thousands to just a few per hour.

I wonder whether our vBulletin database was sending badly formatted empty content "error warnings" to the administrator?

Anyway, at least part of the issues which kept me up until 6 am have been solved!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

With the fixing of the database, either by happenstance or by connection, the flood of emails to me with no content and (No subject) as the heading and To Undisclosed recipients has subsided from thousands to just a few per hour.

I wonder whether our vBulletin database was sending badly formatted empty content "error warnings" to the administrator?
Aha! That could well be it.

Ain't science grand.

I'm glad my 2008 Nissan Maxima does not send me an e-mail every time a tire pressure sensor reports that is cold in the garage!

I hope things are back to normal now on all fronts.

Best regards,

Doug