• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Administrative: Batch of SPAM sent from OPF server from Dec 26th 2013 until yesterday!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is to inform you that someone accessed out FTP server and logged in as an administrator on Thursday 26th December and put in a script to send out emails. I have not gotten the content but our hosting company detect the torrent and disabled further damage. I have no idea whether or not this was some big joke or New Years greetings or actually malicious. So I'm using Sophos antivirus software on all my computers to see if the breach came from my end. Our passwords have been changed so the threat is over.

Still, please everyone check your computers to make sure that you have not received SPAM from us inadvertently. We take extraordinary precautions in trying to verify all registrations. This breach, however, appears to have been by someone having stolen password access to our FTP server and could have been taken as far back as 2009 or even 2007 and never been used until now!

We're taking extra precautions to insure the integrity of OPF remains a safe and secure place for us all.

Thanks for your understanding!

Asher

Asher Kelman

So far cleared my active computers, no viruses or trojan horse or other malware. So they stole the passwords from someone else or maybe when I had my Macbook in for repair. That seems very unlikely! Not many people to consider!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Some hackers do have machines dedicated to "guess" passwords and logins.
I'll check my computers too fo viruses, just to be sure… but I doubt…
Or may it be by the NSA? LoL!

Asher Kelman

Some hackers do have machines dedicated to "guess" passwords and logins.
I'll check my computers too fo viruses, just to be sure… but I doubt…
Or may it be by the NSA? LoL!

The NSA don't need a password, LOL and certainly not out FTP to send out mail! The person actually logged in and uploaded that code on Dec 26th just after 12 noon. Gradually sent out increasing mail until it hit an unusual volume that triggered cancelation of the password access automatically by our server. Where it came is either one of our computers, or an Apple technician who serviced one of my computers and the latter I'd doubt or perhaps a computer in Europe a year ago when I was there. I'm told that hackers collect passwords and then use them months or years later.

Asher

The NSA don't need a password, LOL and certainly not out FTP to send out mail! The person actually logged in and uploaded that code on Dec 26th just after 12 noon. Gradually sent out increasing mail until it hit an unusual volume that triggered cancelation of the password access automatically by our server.

Well that rules me out as well then, I can still log in as moderator (although I wouldn't know how to access the site by FTP). Besides I have to renew my password regularly due to a built in expiration period, so it must have been someone knowing or guessing a recent PW or exploiting a backdoor. I don't use an iPhone, but also do not trust my Android phone enough to access password protected areas on the internet.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

Well that rules me out as well then, I can still log in as moderator (although I wouldn't know how to access the site by FTP). Besides I have to renew my password regularly due to a built in expiration period, so it must have been someone knowing or guessing a recent PW or exploiting a backdoor. I don't use an iPhone, but also do not trust my Android phone enough to access password protected areas on the internet.

Cheers,
Bart

We know that the person logged in to the FTP its, not vBulletin and logged in with the single user name and password that has been in use for the past 4 - 5 years. If it was a backdoor intrusion, then would be no need to login to the FTP server? The main thing is that everyone here should do a Sophos or other virus/malware check on their computers to see if they have gotten something bad. The file has a name R7qAcE6a.php, although I have not copied it or had anyone look at it as of yet. Presumably, it can be just deleted?? I'll ask Sophos.

Asher