• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nothing on fire this time ;-)

Ticonderoga Venti

159745848-O.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Nik,

I guess you can set wood and charcoal on fire very easily, in case you want to do it later anyway <LOL>

Seriously, though, I like the idea. Did you apply a canvas structure to the background in PS, or was the mug placed on a canvas background? I think that the shadows on the right hand side could be a bit less dramatic, what do you think?

Cheers,

Last edited:

Jack_Flesher

I'd guess it's at least partially rendered. I suspect the pencils were shot on (or copied from) something else and the background was PS'd in. A few of the pencils have a fuzzy yellow edge and the background warps at the shadow edges. The one comment I would make is on the lighting: I think a fill card low at 9 o'clock would improve the image. PS' lighting effects are pretty good; the main light may be rendered in this shot and for sure the fill could be pretty easily added on this image using it. I do like the concept on this one though...

Cem_Usakligil

I'd guess it's at least partially rendered. I suspect the pencils were shot on something else and the background was PS'd in. A few of the pencils look poorly cut and the background warps at the shadow edges. I like the concept on this one though...
Just for clarification, "rendering" is in my understanding not the same process as PSing of some background in or cutting and pasting (smart)objects. Rendering, to me, is creating 3D images based on object models using a computer. That's why I don't think that this image was "rendered" as such.

Cheers,

Nikolai,

How much is real and how much has been manipulated? Nice concept.

I find myself wanting to follow the pattern cast by the pencils inside the mug all the way around the inside but am stymied by the deep shadow!

Would you please make me a version that continues the pattern around the inside of the mug?!!?!!? :)

Jack_Flesher

Just for clarification, "rendering" is in my understanding not the same process as PSing of some background in or cutting and pasting (smart)objects. Rendering, to me, is creating 3D images based on object models using a computer. That's why I don't think that this image was "rendered" as such.

Cheers,

Cem, you are probably correct, though Adobe refers to an entire class of filters under their filters menu as "render"; Filters>RENDER>lighting effects, hence I use that definition. With it, you can for example set a spotlight to the same projection as a shadow layer and thus create (render) artificial lighting effects that never existed in the original image.

Cheers, Jack

Cem_Usakligil

Cem, you are probably correct, though Adobe refers to an entire class of filters under their filters menu as "render"; Filters>RENDER>lighting effects, hence I use that definition. With it, you can for example set a spotlight to the same projection as a shadow layer and thus create (render) artificial lighting effects that never existed in the original image.

Cheers, Jack
Hi Jack,

You too are right. It's just a matter of definition really and we are possibly nitpicking here.

Let's just wait and see what Nik has got to say about all this. Possibly he'll shed some light (with his gigantic spotlight) <grin>

Regards,

Wow, great responses!

Thank you guys, appreciate the comments!

Well, originally it was something like this (after ACR only):

159983844-L.jpg

I had to blend three pictures to avoid that light falloff (I adjusted the light for each take).

I made two of exposures out of three RAW file (one for the mug, one for the shadows), blended them together, and applied two different filters to the image (ink outlines to the mug and pencils, craquelure to the b/g), plus some curves in between.

And yes, the shadow does remind the Statue of Liberty, and the innards of the mug - the camera's diaphragm ;-)

HTH