• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

This Bird Has Flown

165399026-O.jpg

(An entry for the "Sorrow" challenge)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's dramatic, Nikolai, but I haven't yet places it in the context of the title or the challenge. Only the right hand is fully rendered. A lot else is either black or white. I'll have to think more. I see a man reflecting, maybe even regretting. So far, that's my reaction. I'll revisit after a while.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I like the way you have echoed the open window space right-angle with the composition of your name. TThat provides an excellent anchor for the picture. I also notice perhaps a slightly fuller representation of gray levels. Is this true? I still would wonder whether or not the picture would be enhanced by a 3/4 inch or so medium gray flat border to separate the image from the white paper.

Again, I'm your fan! I like to see your more pensive image in between your penchant for firing canons and mammoth spectacular fires that you are fortunate enough to find.

Asher

Your "James Bond Girl" series, of course, still stands on its own.

Asher,

thank you very much, appreciate the feedback!

Bond Girl Series hopefully will get some sequel this summer (considering all the $$$ I paid for gym and tanning:)

Cheers!

Klaus Esser

pro member
Hi Nikolai!

What´s the picture telling us? My first thought was - in context with the title - this is someone who has passed away . . .

In the 60s i used to print grey-tones on Agfa-document-paper by pre-exposuring the paper with a diffuse light before exposuring it on the enlarger. Than developed it in normal paper-developer.

The results were exactly like your picture. But i think there is too much confusing in the picture. Too much unidentifical. Is that a snake or something like that on the closer left part? Are there pillows or is it paper lying there?

best, Klaus

Hi Klaus,

Damn those cultural differences, I guess this picture was mostly intended for US audience...:-(

All this props that are confusing you are rather typical attire for a high school graduation ceremony: tassel ("snake"), mortarboard ("piece of paper"), gown.
Unlike colleges, high schools often use non-black colors, usually school colors, white for girls in this case.

Thanks for looking!

Cem_Usakligil

...Damn those cultural differences, I guess this picture was mostly intended for US audience...:-( ...
Indeed! Like Klaus, I was confused a bit, but not anymore <smile>. This info helps put the picture into the right perspective. So does this mean that your very own Bond girl is leaving the nest for college? If so, many congratulations and may I also offer my commiserations at the same time?

Nice picture BTW, I definitely get a feeling of sorrow looking at it.

Cheers,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Nikolaï
Cultural differences are the world richness, provided that we all respect each of them!

But, I was as Klaus, not really sure that I understood the meaning of your image.
Now after your explanation, I'm completely lost!
LOL!

Have a nice day

Asher Kelman

Me too, Nikolai,

I thought that was laundry piled up! Maybe that's because my wife has been away for a week :)

Asher

This horse finished 2d out of 76, so I guess not bad for an improptu self-portrait... <grin>
Funny, the whole thing was almost an instantaneous decision, prolly took less than 15 minutes to shoot (including imagening the whole thing, finding and positioning "da props", setting up the camera on a tripod, trying the light, etc), and about 30-45 min to process.

Yet it clicked with many people who saw it... EXCEPT FOR THOSE DARN FOREIGNERS!
:) lol
(you need to hear me speaking it with my heavy Russian accent:)