• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

First Time Using a MUA

Hello everyone,

This is the first time I shoot using a MUA and what a difference it makes!!
I'm really excited since I have more shoots line up for the rest of the month with models and MUAs. ;) Oh! for the record, her skin has not been smooth out at all, all I did was to remove some imperfections.

4486w.jpg

I would appreciate comments/critiques, thanks!

For those of you that do not know what is a MUA...
MUA = Make up Artist

People that are professionals in beauty makeup and creating characters as in movies. They can make an actor look sick, shot, bleeding, you know, make belief stuff. This time they had to make the model I used as pretty as she can be and the MUA did a great job don't you think?

PS:
for those of you that have a calibrated monitor/flat panel, I would appreciate if you let me know how the colors look on your calibrated monitor. I just purchased a new Video card and have nothing to calibrate my two Dell 24'" Flat Panels, soon I'll be buying a Spider Pro 2 thanks!

--William

Paul Bestwick

pro member
very nice make up job. For me the lighting doesn't quite work .
I like how it is flat but it seems most intense in the centre of the shot & falls off. For that setup, I would prefer to see it more even.
Nice all the same.

Cheers,

Paul

Don Lashier

The direct lighting introduces an interesting look, but I don't like the effect on the catch lights - both positioning and shape. I'd suggest putting a round (or no) baffle on the softbox (am I right?), and moving at least a little off center. But then again, centering provides an intensity that perhaps was intended.

But then I'm no fashion photographer ;)

- DL

ps, the skin has a red tint, but it's not unattractive if that's the intended look.

A real living person, no plastics by photoshop here, establishing a rapport with the photographer, very clean lighting, I really find nothing not to like.
It does help that the model is certainly beautiful in her own right, and that the MUA did a really good job, but the photographer does not need to hide, too.

Christoph

I would appreciate comments/critiques, thanks!

Given the frontal lighting, it would provide a nice subject for a high-key rendition if the background would have been white.

PS:
for those of you that have a calibrated monitor/flat panel, I would appreciate if you let me know how the colors look on your calibrated monitor. I just purchased a new Video card and have nothing to calibrate my two Dell 24'" Flat Panels, soon I'll be buying a Spider Pro 2 thanks!

Hard to say, without knowing her make-up'd skin color, but it doesn't look 'strange' on color rendition.

Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nice make up shot
I believe she suffers from SANPAKU disease.

Let's be careful with using negatives!

The term Sanpaku is not related anyway to anything in modern medicine.

"Sanpaku is a Japanese term that literally means “three whites.” Some people believe that it is a sign of physical and spiritual imbalance if the white of the eye can be seen between the pupil and the lower lid as the subject looks forward. Such a condition is called sanpaku and those afflicted with it are said to be recognizable by their "chronic fatigue, low sexual vitality, poor instinctive reactions, bad humor, inability to sleep soundly and lack of precision in thought and action.............

A search for sanpaku in ProQuest Health and Medical database, which covers more than 380 leading health journals, returned zero results. To the discerning eye, I suppose this proves just how far behind Western medicine has fallen to the wisdom of the ages." Source

She is merely looking up and that shows more of the sclera. That is quite normal. The conditions that cause eyes bulging include thyroid diasease and orbital tumors none of which are present here I'd assume without any other clinical evidence.

Please refrain for uneeded negative comments as it is not in keeping with OPF!

We all are privileged to learn from the efforts to inititiate a new set of professional skills. William has the kindness to share! We appreciate that and want more!

Asher

Nice make up shot
I believe she suffers from SANPAKU disease.

that's the worst comment I have ever receive in any forum. Geez!

Having said that, your comment will not stop me from posting my novice pics on this forum or any forum for that matter. I like what I do, I may not be as good as I want to be, but I'm working on it and I feel I'm making progress.

I truly appreciate honest comments that makes me see how I can improve and I like it even more when someone points out to me something in the image that can be improve and they tell me how.

Asher,

Thanks for commenting on kombizz comment.

--William

John_Nevill

Wiiliam, I like the shot, nice pose and beautiful subject.

My only critiques are the flash hot spot on the subject's hair and peircing eye highlights,

What was your flash setup? a softbox would have helped with the harshness.

To be fair the skin tones can be altered PP (if you like), however I visualise this as more a high key, pastel toned and soft image.

Keep posting em, its how we all learn!

Asher Kelman

My only critiques are the flash hot spot on the subject's hair and peircing eye highlights,

To be fair the skin tones can be altered PP (if you like), however I visualise this as more a high key, pastel toned and soft image.

John,

I like your take as far as the lights on the hair. Actually, on my screen (not my best one) the highlight in the hair continues, it seems, to a patch on her forehead appearingf as a ring of posterized increased saturation. It's likely that these local problems can be selectively repaired from an under-exposed version from the RAW image.

I believe William did use a large softbox but he can provide the details. Super-shiny hair can still do this!

Asher

Asher Kelman

John,

I like your take as far as the lights on the hair. Actually, on my screen (not my best one) the highlight in the hair continues, it seems, to a patch on her forehead appearing as a ring of posterized increased saturation. It's likely that these local problems can be selectively repaired from an under-exposed version from the RAW image.

I believe William did use a large softbox but he can provide the details. Super-shiny hair can still do this!

Asher

John_Nevill

Asher, your spot on, I viewed it at work on an old crt. Revisiting the image on a calibrated screen, I see the posteristion you mention. If a soft box was used, perhaps it was too close?