• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mandolin 1620

The latest, and perhaps last, in the Mandolin series. The intention was to reduce the mandolin to its barest essentials of line and form.

6389326-lg.jpg

Canon 30D EF-S 17-85 IS @ 85mm f/11 1/250 Lit w/ one AB400 strobe w/ 10deg grid above and behind.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Charles,

A further development in your series of photographs of this instrument. Mandolin 1620 might mean something to a musician or else to you, but not to me. However, it is something like the name of a train one gets to know.

I like this picture as it is.

Of course, I also agree whith Don, that including part of the complementary curves of the mandolin would be interesting too. Perhaps even more so. However, I must accept that Paul has done that and does not wish to show that.

My impression, taking the mandolin series as a whole, that Charles is examining just portions of the instrument's possible representations. I am impressed by the meticulous dedication here.

The full value or not of this photograph will be seen only down the road when we look back on the entire body of work as this particular instanceappears to be one frame in a larger story.

Asher

Last edited:
The title is of no significance. It is merely the frame number, as are all the mandolin photo titles.

Each picture in the series has tried to capture a, not the, unique quality of this instrument. Each has, in my opinion, become purer and purer, capturing first the physical appearance of the instrument in a fairly simple manner, then trying to find the essence of the instrument. This instrument is not a quality instument, but a flashy piece of mass-produced junk intended to catch the tourist's eye in the marketplace!

The essence of this instrument, as I see it, lies in its lines, and the intersection of those lines. And that's what I was trying to capture here.

You can see the entire progression of mandolin shots here http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=647416

They are ordered in reverse chronological order with the most recent at the top left and oldest at the bottom right.

Asher Kelman

Charles that presentation is really nice. I like the progression.

I can't seem to recognize one shot you showed previously looked something like a boat, if I remember correctly?

In any case, at some time, it would be nice to have a compound image with all those thumbnails.

Asher

This sort of reminds me of a college dance where as the lights go lower in the small hours of the morning, the only remaining girls somehow start to look more attractive!

Ray West

Hi Charles,

Not your last, you're not happy yet ;-)

Thinking how less is often more, I expect you will try and reduce it further, alluding to
`Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin,' thought Alice; `but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in my life!'
Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

Hi Charles,

Not your last, you're not happy yet ;-)

Thinking how less is often more, I expect you will try and reduce it further, alluding to Best wishes,

Ray
Guys,

What we are seeing in this very fascinating series of photographs, is the kind of process that has occured in the development of language and letters, where we started off with trying to replicate the actual sensory experience of a thing and gradually dropped the unnecessary, like fast signatures.

Here, Paul is progessively abstracting some essence of the mandolin's shape. Now, had he started this work from inside prison, or at age 12 he'd have likely abstracted differently.

Asher

Guys,

Here, Paul is progessively abstracting some essence of the mandolin's shape. Now, had he started this work from inside prison, or at age 12 he'd have likely abstracted differently.

Asher

Thanks Asher, it would be different also if Paul were shooting it, but since I'm Charles...

This has been for me an exercise in progressively removing everything from the frame that doesn't contribute to the picture. Next there will be only a black frame, entitled "Mandolin Grin"

Thanks to all for the comments,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Charles-Paul! lol!

I love your pic, got a glance on the other thru your link, but this one is my preferred…
I don't need the bottom line, above lines, strings and atmosphere do brings me into the Mandolin, with some good vibes.
Thanks for posting!

Asher Kelman

Guys,

Thanks Asher, it would be different also if Paul were shooting it, but since I'm Charles...

This has been for me an exercise in progressively removing everything from the frame that doesn't contribute to the picture. Next there will be only a black frame, entitled "Mandolin Grin"
Charles, for sure,

Sometimes my mind wanders to compare and contrast the art of different folk. I was actually thinking of Paul's individuality and studio and pondering your work in exhibition. I cannot blame wine, just a morphing of two separate guys in my mind.

The bottom line is that your work has caught my interest!

Asher

Rachel Foster

I do hope this is not the last of the series, Chas. As you already know, it was your mandolin photos that inspired my guitar approach. Please shoot more...or at least other stringed instruments!

Don't worry, I'm on my way to something else. Another instrument for sure, but some shiny metal parts from a machinist friend seems a suitable challenge. He's looking for pix for his web site, and can't seem to get good results from his P & S.

I saw an all-Koa wood ukelele Friday that I'd like to shoot but I don't think the owner will let me borrow it ;-(