• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1st piece on public display

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
I am so excited by today's events. I donated a piece I did, framed and matted (and signed into a limited edition!) to a silent auction and it will be a primary piece to raise money for a recovery center for Women imapacted by addiction locally. So I get to go and enjoy the fahsion show and luncheon as well as promote myself as a photographer today and I get to watch the first "real" piece of work be sold. This is the piece - matted white with black filet and frame; Were it not for Asher's encouragement, I am not sure that I would have done this - yet!

medium.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am so excited by today's events. I donated a piece I did, framed and matted (and signed into a limited edition!) to a silent auction and it will be a primary piece to raise money for a recovery center for Women imapacted by addiction locally. So I get to go and enjoy the fahsion show and luncheon as well as promote myself as a photographer today and I get to watch the first "real" piece of work be sold. This is the piece - matted white with black filet and frame; Were it not for Asher's encouragement, I am not sure that I would have done this - yet!

medium.jpg

It's genereous to give kind attibution and it is my payment for the effort we put in to OPF. Your soft colors come out very well. You can advertize it here by special permission here with a percentage do to a charity.

Must have an artists statements to go with the image. What sizes cam this go to? Also what paper is best?

Again, We're all proud of you!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Printed

I think I printed it 20x24 and framed it to 24x28. I did do a statement with it and I signed it. I had it printed on Kodak Metallic paper and the effect on the piece with the white is amazing. As we say around California, "News at 11" (meaning that is what time the news is on late at night)

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Interesting Experience

So the luncheon is over. I had a great time. Did not spend a lot of money on anything - these events tend to have little boutiques where the vendors donate money back to the charity (percentage of sales). 100 items up for silent auction. Which means, for those of you unfamiliar, there is a sheet of paper on the table by the donated item. You write down what you are willing to pay for the item. The next person comes by and puts a higher price down.

I decided not to hover over my donation. During the fashion show, I feel terrible for the photographer - too many p&s cameras and even some dSlrs but you can see them all on green box mode. I watch him trying to get good images in poor light, untrained models who can't see him at the end of the runway to stop and he can't get in. He was using an index card and rubberband on his flash (A better bounce card?) and the rubberband broke. I see he's been around the block but he keeps forgetting to take the lens cap off. I chatted up the women I know and I don't say a word.

My piece was given the most promient space for the auction. Other then a weekend at a golf resort, it was the highest price item. Only 1/2 the items sold at all and some were $20.00 small gift baskets. No one bid on my item. When I donated the piece, I told them if it did not sell, I would make a donation for it's cost. Since for me this was so personal, I felt sad about it.

And as I was leaving with it, and the centerpiece I won (a girl always likes flowers, yes?) there were two women talking about their day. One said to the other, "Did you see that painting of the couple dancing? I wanted to buy it so much - I wish I had but I would have a hard time telling my husband about spending that kind of money today. I took the artist's card and I will check with him to see if he would buy it for me for a gift later".

It's still for sale. Nik, the minimum start bid was $250.00 for the auction. As my high school math teacher told us, "Everything is for sale at the right price". I don't think I'd sell it for that price. I'd want more but I was testing the water and putting my name out. The photographer who shot the event had a portrait session and it didn't sell either. I learned that the attendees were not the right market based on my assessment of the goods that sold. The auctions I have attended usually have slightly higher end items for sale.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Kathy,

You did the right thing. You set your minimum and your name is now out there.

Good luck!

Asher