• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

3rd workshop with Frank Doorhof

nyschulte

Hi,

These are the result of my third workshop with Frank Doorhof.
Hotel Voorhuy's in Emmelord
Model: Rosa
_D222915.jpg

_D222974.jpg

_D223016_la.jpg

_D223046_la.jpg

Thanks again for Frank and Rosa and the courtesy of the Hotel :)

Nicolas

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nicolas,

I can see that you were busy. I like the look this model. She is not over professional and detached.

Could you tell us how the program works and who makes the setups in this course. Also since it is a course, what did you feel about each picture.

I ask this since a lot of people are seeing notice for Frank's upcoming workshop in Los Angeles and it would be nice to hear step by step some of the experience of this course work.

There's a lot to take in with 4 different pictures, so perhaps we could deal with your impressions and subsequently our feedback on your new work....which I happen to like :)

Asher

nyschulte

Thank you Asher :)

Being the 3rd workshop with Frank made it a bit easier for me.

All 3 workshops were one on one so there were only Frank, the model and myself.

Some information on myself to frame the following: i started with Minolta Dynax series some 20 years back. I did mainly landscape and object photography, no people work at all. Then i had to stop, as the money making work took too much of my time. In november 2005 i started again with a Nikon D50 , this time focussing on people for the reason that i wanted to prove to a young lady and her family that she could consider modeling. Friends and family were pleased with the results and encouraged me to continue. By june i had invested into a D200 and some Elinchrom lighting equipment. I got some meters of books for lighting portrait photography and all.

I finally found OPF and read some articles from Frank. As he was using Elinchrom equipment, him not being too far from Luxembourg and most importantly as i very much like his work, i asked for a workshop.

First one (december 206) was on studio lighting and model posing. My first venture into this proved very helpful even if i had a small data overload. Frank explained everything well and looking over his shoulder (not literally) gave me more explanations than the 4 month on learing from books i bought.
I digested most of his teaching during the following 5 month.

Second workshop (may 2007), i wanted to focus on outdoor photography. Here again Frank's approach to showing how to do, brought lots of insight, some fun and a nasty sunburn :)
I took 3 month to practice on this workshop...

Third one (august 2007) concentrated on location work with natural light. We had a lot of fun and i do not yet realize fully the (at least for me) stunning pictures.

Bad thing with Frank is that he shows you what can be achieved with simple equipment (i.e. one or 2 SB800 with my nikon), how to improve, and what can be done with advanced equipment. This leads to heavy equipment upgrades when i return from his sessions. After first session i bought the Nikor 70-200/2.8 AF-S VR lens, 3 Elinchrom Style RX 600 monolights and the famous Octa 190 softbox. After the second workshop i NEEDED to have the Elinchrom Ranger RX akku generator with the Ringflash... Now i will have to go for some translucent screens, the Elinchrom Deep Throat.

For the program: i checked with Frank the topics i wanted to cover beforehand and he worked out the program. He starts simple and from there he builds up to complexe scenes. He finds always the time to answer questions in between. You have to consider each of his comments as they provide useful information you may not relate at that moment to the situation. This goes from lens selection lightmeter calibration, lighting setup, workflow, retouching to printer selection, paper choice, model coaching, MUA qualities, business consideration...

During the workshop he shows as well that he is a crazy (not flying) dutchman so it is no dry technical readout, but a concentrated, massive dose of information provided in a relaxed way.

Frank gives you a solid starting point and if you do your homework afterwards you will fully appreciate each detail he provides.

If you are stuck with a specific problem, he can help you generally in a quick and comprehense way.

Then there are as well his DVD's which provide some more information once you followed a workshop :)

The next step for me will be what Frank calls the masterclass. This means that he will cover the steps from the initial idea to the final picture. My budget being used for this year that one will be for 2008.

Nicolas

kombizz kashani

nice images
I think the model is not in the right mood or perhaps it was her time to be a photography model.
Something wrong somewhere that I can't point at it