• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Roosmarijn and Frank

A shot from the session with Roosmarijn :D

Roosmarijn_3_April_2008-86.jpg

Hi Frank,

I am anything but a fashion/glamour photographer, but I do admire your work since quite some time.

Usually, I like to cook with Rosemary, but I must say, I would certainly like to cook with Roosmarijn as well. ;)

Sinar Hy6?

No Sinar, a Mamiya 645AFD/II with a Leaf digital Back (Aptus 22).

I love the Sinar and would love to testdrive one but for the time being I'm happy with the Leaf :D

The only area that irritated me was on the inner part of her underarm, a little bit above the wristband, looks like the white background blurred into her skin...may be from retouching or something?....

Doug Kerr

Hi, George,

The only area that irritated me was on the inner part of her underarm, a little bit above the wristband, looks like the white background blurred into her skin...may be from retouching or something?....

Yes, I noticed that right away.

Best regards,

Doug

Aida BGAgraphix

pro member
The photo is very nice, I love the silk and pose.

The skin is not yet uniform regarding color. Her hand is a little too pink if we compare it to the arm.
I wish to see some skin pores on her leg, there they would be quite visible, even if it's a smaller resolution preview uploaded for the forum and not the full file. :)
Well... my comment is just from retouch perspective. :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for your comment!

Frank is so special to us, so you are brave to comment and I agree!

Still, I love the picture!

Asher

Shane Carter

Holly Cow Frank! I know Asher expects intelligent comments, but I don't have any, wow, this is creative, well lit, builds expectations...not over the top and still alluring, sheesh. :)

PS I'm going to be really annoyed is this what you are teaching people in your class I can make. :/

@shane,
This is standard material for the workshops indeed.

@Aida,
Downcoversion to the web is killing alot of detail which always is a shame.
I have changed somethings now in the upload, should look better.

Downcoversion to the web is killing alot of detail which always is a shame.

While some loss of intrinsic resolution is unavoidable, afterall we are using fewer pixels after the downsampling, there have to be hardly any other losses when proper downsampling methods are used.

One of the issues one is confronted with, is the different look of subtle textures (e.g. the lace ribbon, or the what-shall-we-call-it around her wrist, versus skin texture). If you want me to make an 'optimal' conversion on a crop, just let me know (either here or as a PM).

Bart

I updated the original picture so it shows up correct now.

@Bart,
I have experimented alot with downconversions and stuck finally with the photoshop method, however I'm still not 100% happy with the more soft look in the skin the webversions get.
On print it's smooth but not barbie smooth.
There still is structure on the internet version but the subtle changes are gone, which is as you mention logical, but still hard for someone to judge I think :(

@Bart,
I have experimented alot with downconversions and stuck finally with the photoshop method, however I'm still not 100% happy with the more soft look in the skin the webversions get.

Photoshop offers 3 resampling methods. For downsampling, the regular Photoshop bicubic method produces the 'best' results of the three, but it can still be slightly improved upon by using something like a Lanczos (or a Welsh) windowed Sinc downsampler. The 'Sinc' method is considered to be the optimal method, optimal both in retaining detail and in avoiding aliasing artifacts. There are several variations on it by using different windowing functions, of which 'Lanczos' is the most commonly used.

I tend to add a little sharpening to the downsampled result, usually with 'Focus Magic' because that will absolutely avoid adding any blur. To suppress the creation of sharpening halo, I use it on a blending layer.

Bart

I started a while ago with the final sharpening indeed and that helps ALOT.
Before that I would just downconvert and upload.

Still it would be best to just host full res pictures :D
well ok..... you know what I mean :D