• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Birth of Pestilence*

631953547_BvBzo-XL.jpg

*Digital Overlay-Three photographs

Charlotte Thompson

William

I just love your work in overlay- you started me with this but I can very easily say you are still "da man"

this has a biblical feel to it-easily so
and
gives me the creepy crawly's LOL good that because I can feel those "pestilence vibrations"

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
631953547_BvBzo-XL.jpg

William Blackford The Birth of Pestilence

Well, William,

We could call this a mess! That however, would be flippant and wrong. I like this exploration of the dark side of creativity. It also is an example of art being able to have little obvious connection with beauty.

This has been nagging at me to return to since you posted it. It's not a picture that can be observed and enjoyed for shear fresh beauty, since it's not of that material. This sandwich of 3 pictures forms a primitive and disturbing bright central area from which odd elongated forms appear to spring forth. There's darkness to one side and maybe water and clouds to the right but we are not at all sure of these bearings.

The title, "The Birth of Pestilence" is more than apt, seeming to give the bright light of a higher being the original nascent power behind this happening, making this an almost religious Paulian experience.

Asher

William, you have very effectively managed to convey a chaotic, almost evil feeling. I have never given much though to overlay as a medium. Certainly, if this were computer-generated (perhaps rendered from a 3D Model) I would comment that it lacks "polish" - but when considering pure overlay as a medium, it is very interesting and effective indeed.

I sense, through your image, a feeling of pent-up frastrating, of something wanting to get out. Similar to the often disturbing look one gets when people scratch and damage their large-format negatives / glass plates. Kind of a haunting feeling. Your title very vividly makes that feeling even stronger.

Images like these illustrate the importance (in some cases) of the titles of artworks. Some argue that photographs should not be titled, but I believe the title, more so than almost anything else, gives a vivid view of the artist's intent.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Images: Titles or not! In this case it's valuable guide. Would it work otherwise?

Images like these illustrate the importance (in some cases) of the titles of artworks. Some argue that photographs should not be titled, but I believe the title, more so than almost anything else, gives a vivid view of the artist's intent.

Dawid,

When one goes to a gallery, there's some introduction to the artist's way of thought for the series and a body of work. Still titles help to get one into the sort of universe of possibilities the artist has imagined for us.

So I always like to see introductions here and William has done that well. The title, to me, is a necessary gracious act by the photographer/artist.

Asher