• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Crane crossing the Panama Canal

Ruben Alfu

A yard crane Mitsui Paseco crossing the Panama Canal. The shots were taken at different locations of the Canal during the transit of the crane from the Pacific to the Atlantic. I hope you find it interesting!

20081219_MG_6521-2.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Crane crossing the Panama Canal 1

20081220_MG_6771.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Crane crossing the Panama Canal 2

20081220_MG_6821.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Crane crossing the Panama Canal 3

20081220_MG_6875.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Crane crossing the Panama Canal 4

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
20081220_MG_6875.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Crane crossing the Panama Canal 4

Ruben,

I expected a bird in flight, a crane of all things flying above the Panama Canal. So I was surprised to find a massive steel structure in tow.

This last picture is the most impressive in that the scene, and what demands attention, has been simplified. The crane's form now is silhouetted against the sky and its power is expressed very well. The other pictures provide context, like the "making of" videos to show background scenes on a movie lot of how the film was made.

Good job!

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Ruben,

I expected a bird in flight, a crane of all things flying above the Panama Canal. So I was surprised to find a massive steel structure in tow.

Asher

haha, well, sorry for the less poetic rendering of the concept. Not sure if I caught any birds during this shooting, I´ll see...

This last picture is the most impressive in that the scene, and what demands attention, has been simplified. The crane's form now is silhouetted against the sky and its power is expressed very well. The other pictures provide context, like the "making of" videos to show background scenes on a movie lot of how the film was made.

Good job!

Asher

Glad you like it Asher, thanks so much! You are right about the photos, they were made with the sole intention to document the transit, actually the last one was one of those extra shots I did for my own pleasure.

Hi Ruben,

You know my interest in canals, so this series was quite interesting.

The first of the series was my favorite. I like the soft light, and the haze (I'm guessing due to high humidity) added much to the mood of the shot. You indicate they were taken to document the transit, but your choice of composition in each allows the viewer room to explore.

Thank you for sharing these, and I look forward to more.

Ruben Alfu

Hi Ruben,

You know my interest in canals, so this series was quite interesting.

The first of the series was my favorite. I like the soft light, and the haze (I'm guessing due to high humidity) added much to the mood of the shot. You indicate they were taken to document the transit, but your choice of composition in each allows the viewer room to explore.

Thank you for sharing these, and I look forward to more.

Thanks very much for your kind words Tom. Humidity and UV levels in Panama are very high most of the time, I like too the effect in that photo.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
20081220_MG_6821.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Crane crossing the Panama Canal 3​

Ruben,

Tom's attention to the first picture made me look back again de novo and start again to experience your pictures one at a time. I realize that these pictures belong, each with there own space! I realize now that I should have paid attention to that first picture as Tom did!

So now I'll focus on an entirely different image. Here we have a white lighthouse type structure and a chain fence laid out with beautiful green grass as if this was a resort town in New England. This photograph has a holiday atmosphere and is delightful. I'd have not imagined the location was the panama canal.

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Thanks for such a flattering comment Asher. I love the romantic aura of lighthouses. I don´t know if they are going to disappear in the future but not that many remain in use today in the canal.

Paul Abbott

These are good documentary images, Ruben. Are you able to document much more of this operation?
Personally, i'd like to see 'em as B&W's, colour has no significance in these shots for me.

Ruben Alfu

These are good documentary images, Ruben. Are you able to document much more of this operation?
Personally, i'd like to see 'em as B&W's, colour has no significance in these shots for me.

Thanks very much Paul, unfortunately I don´t do this regularly. I do have BW photos of the canal, I´ll post them in another thread.