• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

About "descriptive geometry"

Doug Kerr

In the biography of Melanija Knavs (Melania Knauss, now Melania Trump) by Bojan Pozar and Igor Omerza, it is reported that:

In her freshman year, the 19-year old Melanija Knavs attended lectures [at the University of Lubljana, in Slovenia] on the following subjects: elements of architecture, fine arts, fundamentals of technical mechanics, architectural construction, descriptive geometry, mathematics, and an ideological (read “communist”) elective credit called “General Partisan Resistance and Social Self-protection”.​

Just what is "descriptive geometry"? Descriptive geometry is the theoretical geometrical underpinning of engineering, architectural, and technical drawing.

It heavily deals with the matter of projection, such as is used in the preparation of orthographic projections, the common "three-view" form of showing a three-dimensional object in, for example, a manufacturing drawing. It also deals with the theoretical bases of various ways of representing a three-dimensional object in such single-view ways as isometric projection and perspective projection.

This discipline is important in many ways related to photography and the design of imaging systems. Some of its precepts are employed in my recent discussions of the infamous "Mike Pence and family at Chili's" photograph.

In the freshman year of my own engineering degree program, in 1953-54, I took a mandatory two-semester series in engineering drawing. The first semester was a course in Descriptive Geometry. I aced that course, receiving a final grade basis of 100% - supposedly the only student over the years at that institution to have attained that perfect grade.

The second semester was a course in Basic Engineering Drawing. That was more of a problem for me, not insofar as the theory or my grasp of the various and often arcane conventions, but rather my drawings were "messy". When completed, they had an overall background of irregular light gray, the result of pencil lead being smeared across the vellum medium. My grade there was very poor, almost failing.

Fortunately, in my engineering career, I rarely had to prepare formal engineering drawings myself. They were instead usually executed by skilled drafters, working from my sketches.

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Once again I am bewildered.
Should I be impressed with your score, Doug, disappointed with your projected pathway into engineering drawing, amused at an assumingly sarcastic reference to the future presidents wife or just ignore this thread.
Perhaps it a play on words that only appeals to the intellectuals among us that I missed.

Never mind.
I'll go back to reading my comic book.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom,

It's perfectly fine to give a salute to the exceptional Beauty of Melania Trump. That is the nature of the reference to "geometry". Here in the USA, we'd call it a good hearted homage to an especially well educated, well-cultured and adorable immigrant to the great USA!

I am proud of Doug's extraordinarily succinct wit.

His respect for high achieving women is well recognized by all who know him.

Don't let it bother you that it came over as uncouth to you, but that is the nature of context in humor. Here it is a safe and good bit of respectful fun.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom,

It's perfectly fine to give a salute to the exceptional Beauty of Melania Trump. That is the nature of the reference to "geometry". Here in the USA, we'd call it a good hearted homage to an especially well educated, well-cultured and adorable immigrant to the great USA!

I am proud of Doug's extraordinarily succinct wit.

His respect for high achieving women is well recognized by all who know him.

Don't let it bother you that it came over as uncouth to you, but that is the nature of context in humor. Here it is a safe and good bit of respectful fun.

Asher

If Doug had made reference to the shape of her tits I would be more informed.

I'm inclined to think her shape is more a study in polymers and plastic surgery than anything mathematical.

As for the intelligence of the woman, I can only judge that by the company she keeps and the money she spends.
Draw your own conclusions

It also seems dubious that she has any more than one year at university studying architecture.

I wouldn't dear judge the woman on her looks (also dubious), education, ethnic origin, social status and marital status.

Or would I? It doesn't leave much for me to work with.

Doug Kerr

Once again I am bewildered.
Just so you are not also bewitched and bothered.

Should I be impressed with your score, Doug, disappointed with your projected pathway into engineering drawing, amused at an assumingly sarcastic reference to the future presidents wife or just ignore this thread.

Yes.

At the moment, the probability that in referring to Melania Trump I was referring to the wife of the 45th president of the United States of America is assessed (by bookmakers) at about 0.24.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

If Doug had made reference to the shape of her tits I would be more informed.

Tom,

I must admit I never use such a term for women's breasts but have heard it in context, usually mysogenous. Mostly, here in the USA, it is objectifying to refer to breasts as "tits", although I have heard an occasional woman refer to her body that way. It really depends on context, but mostly, at least where one wants to respect women, I personally avoid such a term. Could be that women in your area are comfortable with the term or have just given in!

As to Melania, she's a fine lady, as I am sure is Christine or my own wife, independant of the men they chose in life!

Asher

Asher Kelman

We've had this discussion before.

Live with it or delete it.

Tom,

I have zero problem with you speaking your native language. Just my old brain forgets the Groundhog Day moment repeating itself!

Unfortunately, I will always react badly to hearing "tits" but I must try to better tolerate the apparently normal inclusion in the vocabulary of other segments of society, with different customs.

My reaction is visceral! Breasts are the normal term. Are they not generally referred to as such in your part of the world or is the word "breast" considered too clinical, like have some condition needing attention, whereas "tits" are casual and have no such serious gravitas?

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom,

I have zero problem with you speaking your native language. Just my old brain forgets the Groundhog Day moment repeating itself!

Unfortunately, I will always react badly to hearing "tits" but I must try to better tolerate the apparently normal inclusion in the vocabulary of other segments of society, with different customs.

My reaction is visceral! Breasts are the normal term. Are they not generally referred to as such in your part of the world or is the word "breast" considered too clinical, like have some condition needing attention, whereas "tits" are casual and have no such serious gravitas?

Asher

Depends on the company. I wouldn't tell the Queen she had nice tits, but I might mention it to the Duke.
Christine has nice tits and I'm happy to tell her, as she is to hear.
Casually speaking, its a reference to a part of the body most appreciated my men and women for all sorts of reasons'. Babies, when drinking mother's milk, are said to be having 'titty'. My great grand daughter uses such terms.
On the other hand, if a bloke told a woman to "get your tits outa my face", it's getting more hostile than derogatory.

There seems to a general understanding for the use of language and the intent to insult, here in Oz.
If a person suspects they are about to be insulted or derided they prepare themselves to either laugh it off, consider it a complement or retaliate with something equivalent in venom.
It beats the shite out beating the shite outa someone.