• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Japan

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Marine and I planned a 2 week trip in Japan in April 2017.

Although a travel is more a journey than a vacation, i did not plan to write notes.
Instead I brought a Pentax K1 with one lens only (the versatile 24-70).

This trip over Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Naoshima and Teshima had been a huge change in my life and way of thinking, my mind slipped into some unknown places.
The subject of our last exhibition "NOIRS" is not a coincidence, it is partly the result of this experience ...

Of course doing tourism (yes that is) is not like living long time in a foreign country, however, this move moved me…

It took me a while to decide to select some images and publish them.
Achieved today…

There are too many images to share here, but clicking on the image above is an invitation for you to discover what I did (discover).

I hope you'll enjoy…
Have a great journey

PS All handheld, no tripod

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Marine and I planned a 2 week trip in Japan in April 2017.

Although a travel is more a journey than a vacation, i did not plan to write notes.
Instead I brought a Pentax K1 with one lens only (the versatile 24-70).

This trip over Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Naoshima and Teshima had been a huge change in my life and way of thinking, my mind slipped into some unknown places.
The subject of our last exhibition "NOIRS" is not a coincidence, it is partly the result of this experience ...

Of course doing tourism (yes that is) is not like living long time in a foreign country, however, this move moved me…

It took me a while to decide to select some images and publish them.
Achieved today…

There are too many images to share here, but clicking on the image above is an invitation for you to discover what I did (discover).

I hope you'll enjoy…
Have a great journey

PS All handheld, no tripod

Thanks very much. It seems you have been influenced by wisdom just like the Beatles heard the sounds of the sitar by Ravi Shankar.

When something happens like this, one gets a basic reset as if one has a new set of parents!

I do hope you will feed us more....and yes some notes. Remember the voice of "the woman in the darkened door, beckoning us to ask for more".

Did you get to learn about the traditions and Shintoism?

Asher

Peter Dexter

That looks like a George Rickey sculpture I'm seeing in the second photo. Certainly a proper setting for it. Thank you for taking us on a marvelous visit.

nicolas claris

That looks like a George Rickey sculpture I'm seeing in the second photo. Certainly a proper setting for it. Thank you for taking us on a marvelous visit.

Kudos Peter,
Yes it is.
Fascinating and relaxing.
It is raised within the Benesse house museum.
This museum is also an hotel (we slept there) and you can visit the exhibitions at any time day and night if you're resident…
As lot of places it is forbidden to take pictures inside… However…

PS I understand that you went thru the photo galeries… Thank you!

nicolas claris

I hope that you discovered that each image is the header of a specific gallery and that you had time to get thru… :)

nicolas claris

Went to the gallery. Nice...
But why those two multiple exposures shots ?
:)

Bonjour Antonio,

You may have noticed that within these galleries:
JAPAN – TRADITIONAL ARCHITECTURE
JAPON – CHURCH OF THE LIGHT – TADAO ANDO
JAPON – STREETS
JAPAN – CONTEMPORARY ARCHITECTURE
JAPAN – NAOSHIMA – TESHIMA

There are not many photos with crowd.
Needless to say, there are a lot of people in Japan cities, but this was not my intent to focus on.

However there are some images with lone people or very few.
However 2, in a city like Tokyo, I took these on the fly to show: crowd, energy, tensions, vibes, excitements…

They are not multi exposure shots.
This one is shot on a double glazing glass window of a shop:

Rues_NCK6769.jpg

This one is a low shutter speed with the handheld camera hold while raising hand and arm hugh over my head:

Rues_NCK6759.jpg

Are these the images you were refering to?

Jerome Marot

I shall come back to your galleries when I have a faster internet connection, but thank you for the hindsights into modern Japanese architecture.

What are the opening times for your exhibition "noirs"?

nicolas claris

I shall come back to your galleries when I have a faster internet connection, but thank you for the hindsights into modern Japanese architecture.

What are the opening times for your exhibition "noirs"?

Bonjour Jerome,

9h-19h 7/7

Soirée de décrochage (sur invitation seulement, mais tu es invité bien sûr !) le 6 septembre à partir de 18:30

Jerome Marot

Bonjour Jerome,

9h-19h 7/7

Soirée de décrochage (sur invitation seulement, mais tu es invité bien sûr !) le 6 septembre à partir de 18:30

Je ne vais pas pouvoir venir le 6. C'est à 2 h de route et nous rentrons le 7. Je pensais plutôt venir dimanche ou lundi (le 2 ou le 3).

nicolas claris

Je ne vais pas pouvoir venir le 6. C'est à 2 h de route et nous rentrons le 7. Je pensais plutôt venir dimanche ou lundi (le 2 ou le 3).
Je serai en pleine préparation de prise de vues shoot en continu sauf le 6 au soir ;) de mardi 4/09 à Dimanche 15/09 à Arcachon puis Cannes…
Mais envoie moi un sms au 06 70 79 57 36 quand tu sais quand tu viens voir l'expo, j'essaierai de venir !

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Je serai en pleine préparation de prise de vues shoot en continu sauf le 6 au soir ;) de mardi 4/09 à Dimas he 15/09 à Arcachon puis Cannes…
Mais envoie moi un sms au 06 70 79 57 36 quand tu sais quand tu viens voir l'expo, j'essaierai de venir !

“Je serai en pleine préparation de prise de vues shoot...”

I so love this beautiful French writing and I can hear it and the French sighs, shoulder gestures and looks!

Salut!

??

Asher

nicolas claris

“Je serai en pleine préparation de prise de vues shoot...”

I so love this beautiful French writing and I can hear it and the French sighs, shoulder gestures and looks!

Salut!

??

Asher
Ah!
Mais non Asher, pas de tristesse ni de soupirs ! Simplement l'explication du fait d'avoir une disponibilité réduite…
Preparing a shoot is always an intensive moment when on one side one verifies all the gear, clean sensors, check batteries, clean lenses and on the other side having one's mind concentrated on the needed balance between the client's requirements and your own views and creativity of the product/subject.
The latter is so important as one has to give the right response for the marketing needs but also to differ from competitors and your preceding works as well. Keeping one's own identity and work recognition.

That moment is so important, so stressful but so exhilarating! Intense…
I should practice yoga…