• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Travelog: San Francisco - The Bridge from my Window

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Just returned from San Francisco. It's so packed with young people, families, small children, very smart entrepreneurs and tourists!

From my window each morning this was the view of the Bay Bridge draped in morning fog.

[Group 1]-_DSC2045__DSC2050-6 images_0000 crop II-1000 pixles.jpg

Asher Kelman: Bay Bridge from my Window

Sony A7R Pentax 135mm f2.5, stitched panorama
Photoshop CC & Topaz Clarity

Comments welcomed!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Now I am looking at Topaz Impression as a way of enhancing a picture to get a print that has an extra shot of the magic one is imagining.

[Group 1]-_DSC2045__DSC2050-6 images_0000 crop II-1000 pixles_Tpz Impression.jpg

Asher Kelman: Bay Bridge from my Window

Sony A7R Pentax 135mm f2.5, stitched panorama
Photoshop CC, Topaz Clarity & topaz Impression

One can alter stroke length, loading of paint and dripping of the brush, smudge and much more and so get the effect one wants. I like this presentation.

Of course, I might be troubled that it's so far off from just straightforward photography, but my sense of guilt about this trespass is getting less by the minute! Why? Well because the end result is much closer to the mode of the scene that welcomed me each morning than the straight photographic disciplined image. The inexactness seems more true to reality.

Again your comments are welcome!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Of course, I might be troubled that it's so far off from just straightforward photography, but my sense of guilt about this trespass is getting less by the minute! Why? Well because the end result is much closer to the mode of the scene that welcomed me each morning than the straight photographic disciplined image. The inexactness seems more true to reality.

It is all art, in the service of which there are many tools, media, and techniques.

That is quite nice.

Best regards,

Doug

Antonio Correia

Your image of the bridge is much different from the usual images we see all around. the fog makes it a little mysterious...

The building on the left enhances the bridge itself contributing to the overall composition while the canvas makes the image to stand out of the frame.

Topaz just introduces another treatment...

This bridge is replicated in Lisbon where it is named "25th Abril bridge" and in Istambul also where it's named Bosphorus Bridge.

Asher Kelman

Thanks Doug and Antonio for the visit and generous comments.

Ill be posting the entire view from the window shortly. Stil, when one looks out, one edits out all the rest as "The Bridge" - shrouded as it is in mist, takes out breathe away and captivates us.

Antonio,

I didn't realize the relationship between the the 25th Abril Bridge and the one over the Bosphorus. I'm amazed how much they do in fact look alike. I wonder wether the engineering companies were the same?

Asher

Paul Abbott

Asher, your picture has raised some thoughts in my mind...

For instance, painterly skill shows how gifted mankind can be, while photographic technology shows how innovative and resourceful mankind can be...
I can imagine the future of photography to have made physical paint and painting totally redundant, with just it's ideology as the mainstay.
I wonder if this will be photography's second stab at the apple so to speak, albeit with post processing programs and other digital resources etc.?

Paul Delaroche may well be proven right after so long at being proven wrong...? :)

Also, one thing about photography that Hockney mentions is that photographic pictures do not have the same depth as a physically painted picture, and I agree. I wonder if a digital photograph will be able to rectify this with the use of a digital brush and process...? Or will it all still come down to that ubiquitous physical paint texture and it's visual effects they have on our senses? :)

Jarmo Juntunen

Asher, what a lovely view! The fog really makes the picture but I like the view you've taken into the scene. It is very simple and pure, yet highly inspiring.

Asher Kelman

Paul and Jarmo,

Your visits are welcome and supportive.

I do feel that we're on the edge of a revolution in expression of the granularity, translucency and texture that so defines paintings and is missing from today's photographic prints. This final barrier is many major steps away, but with the latest Canon & Fuji independent advances in 3D printing of Van Gogh and Rembrandt originals by a Dutch Researcher, it's a change that will be upon us within 5 years, to the extent that all but the museum curators and painting experts will not know the difference.

We will, essentially express out ideas in pencil, charcoal and brush strokes, if we so wish!

"The times, they are a-changing!" Bob Dylan.

Asher

Antonio Correia

I haven't thought of such an use for 3D printing !...

I had once the idea of building a "Museum of the fake" in Setúbal. A crazy idea of course !

However, I am sure many visitors could be attracted to see fantastic replicas of Art.

Asher Kelman

I must admit a special love for San francisco and this fabulous bridge. I stand on the balcony, bearing the cold wind from the San Francisco Bay, ignoring the pleas of my wife, (and the fact that I dont own pyjamas), and rapidly snap away, sure no one is foolish enough to stare my way from the darkness below!

[Group 4]-IMG_5430_IMG_5450-SF Bridge At Night.jpg

Asher Kelman: From my Window - Golden Gate Bridge at Night

Canon 5D II, 20 JPG OOTC images stitched in AutoPano Giga and processed in Photoshop CC 2017

Asher

Asher Kelman

In the early morning, the scene is much wider, as there is so much more to see. So it required 61 instead of 20 overlapping images to capture this panorama.

[Group 6]-IMG_5451_IMG_5515-61 images_Golden Gate Bridge at Dawn.jpg

Asher Kelman: From my Window - Golden Gate Bridge at Dawn

Canon 5D II, 61 JPG OOTC images stitched in AutoPano Giga and processed in Photoshop CC 2017

Note that massive cargoe ship from China, anchored at the edge of the bay, in the center.

Asher

I really like the incredible view of the bridge in your photograph, Asher. Not so sure that the Topaz version is an improvement, though it's quite good.

The power of digital software is almost beyond belief, isn't it? It expands creative options to an extent undreamed of just a decade ago. Such tools have their place, but they're no more likely to replace the canvas and brush than 3D printers will replace clay and wheel.

Asher Kelman

I really like the incredible view of the bridge in your photograph, Asher. Not so sure that the Topaz version is an improvement, though it's quite good.

The power of digital software is almost beyond belief, isn't it? It expands creative options to an extent undreamed of just a decade ago. Such tools have their place, but they're no more likely to replace the canvas and brush than 3D printers will replace clay and wheel.

Yes, Tom,

Topaz is best for clarity or noise removal but occasional Impression is fun!

What is so amazing about digital is that one can hold a camera by hand, no tripod or gimbal mount, and sinplyboverlap the scene in rows and with a little experience, it is pretty damn perfect! One can use 1Mp camera as on Mars or any thin he offer and get an image that is a huge as one wants. The advantage of more pixels and a wider lens is that one can stitch trees with leaves easier. But here on the balcony in the cold San Francisco air, 6-20 shots and one has the equivalent of 200 degrees of view!

Thanks for visiting!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well, this. is not the same view, but the same bridge we view together from the saem window.....but this is from the walk by the line of converted wartehouses on the war, "The Embarcadaro.

IMG_3917_TPZ_Clarity SF_WK_1200.jpg

Wendy Kelman: Boat Traffic Under the Bay Bridge

iphone 7

I will cross post it in "Wife's Photographs"

Asher