• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

No huff in cyclone Aleesia

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Our first cyclone for the season, a woman no less, puffed through on the weekend. As weak as yesterday's custard! Not even big enough to send the locals to the cellars with a slab of beer and the radio tuned to the cricket.
Not to be one to downgrade the disasters that happen elsewhere but what about us, god? Here we are sitting on our verandah with the BBQ blazing and the dog chained to the fence and you let us down with that piddly thing. I could get more wind from eating a can of beans.

But I'm patient. Send Aleesia over the Gulf for a few days, then send her back for another go. I'm waiting.

_D3S3950 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

Cem_Usakligil

I really laughed at that Tom, do people really chain their bbq and dog to the fence? I can imagine the scene which would ensue when the cyclone is right above them. One would have to have the camera ready to capture that sight.

Show us more please.

I really laughed at that Tom, do people really chain their bbq and dog to the fence? I can imagine the scene which would ensue when the cyclone is right above them. One would have to have the camera ready to capture that sight.

Hi Cem,

LOL, chaining one's dog to the fence may keep it from chasing the flying cows and sheep ...

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Our first cyclone for the season, a woman no less, puffed through on the weekend. As weak as yesterday's custard! Not even big enough to send the locals to the cellars with a slab of beer and the radio tuned to the cricket.
Not to be one to downgrade the disasters that happen elsewhere but what about us, god? Here we are sitting on our verandah with the BBQ blazing and the dog chained to the fence and you let us down with that piddly thing. I could get more wind from eating a can of beans.

But I'm patient. Send Aleesia over the Gulf for a few days, then send her back for another go. I'm waiting.

_D3S3950 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

Tom,

I still wouldn't build a current water cooled nuclear reactor anywhere near Darwin. The denizens would want to make their own pipes and valves and use their pet hounds for security.

But so what, the beach works without electricity anyway! Pretty spectacular view with no radiation leak problem!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*

Show us more please.

'Fraid so, Cem. There's a saying here about storms: "strong enough to blow the dog of its chain". Pets aren't allowed into cyclone shelters. They just weather the storm. Chaining them up means they are at least easier to find afterwards.
The BBQ is too big to store indoors. Some are big enough to cook a sheep or pig. They get tied to the same fence as the dog. Hopefully it adds bulk.
You probably already know but for the rest of the audience, when a cyclone is directly overhead it is very still and quiet. That's the ' eye' and has little or no air movement. That's the point at which all the **** hits the ground in readiness for the next blast which picks it all up and pelts it. Our house is built to withstand winds of 250 km/h. The neighbors dog chain will withstand speeds of 300 km/h.

Andy brown

Great shot Tom.

I'm reminded of the lovely work of Peter Jarver.

Stay safe out (up) there.
The south east of Aus copped some 100 kmh winds 3 times this Spring. puff puff.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Great shot Tom.

I'm reminded of the lovely work of Peter Jarver.

Stay safe out (up) there.
The south east of Aus copped some 100 kmh winds 3 times this Spring. puff puff.

I wish. Not that I want to take pictures like Peter. Not my style. A bit of his fame wouldn't go astray, just to feed my pathetic ego.
His gallery is in Cairnes. Worth a lookin.