• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How to do this edit?

Rachel Foster

The bride and I both like this image, but I'm bothered by the concrete pathway. Any ideas about what I could do with this?

smallveilriver.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Copy the layer.

Open up a file with a picture of green grass and select and drag that image to the brides picture. Move the layer so it's between the two copies of the brides picture.

Select the asphalt path. Drag that layer to the bottom of the layer dialog box to the mask icon. You'll now see a white rectangle to the right of the image icon in that layer. Make sure this is selected. Now fill the selection you made of the asphalt with black: Edit, fill, black.

Now the grass layer below will show through.

Go back to the mask layer. Reselect the white box which has now black in the center.

Use a black soft brush (vary the size with the [ for smaller brush or ] for larger brush size) and set the percent at the top of the Photoshop command bar to be 10% and then paint either black to make more grass gradually appear or white to bring back the dress that you accidentally obscured.

Try it out!

Asher

Asher Kelman

This is a very simple quick and dirty exercise for anyone who has never masked a portion of an image to get something else to appear from below. If you have a moment, jump in and do this. This will be rewarding as it opens up many creative ways to deliver what you want.

If you have a better way, share it!

Asher

Jack_Flesher

What Asher said, but first crop in tighter on the bride -- a lot tighter. You've already clipped her gown on the right, so get her up against the edge of the frame on the left, and closer to the bottom of the frame. That alone will eliminate much of the distracting pathway.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
It's not concrete; it's asphalt, a bituminous product sometimes called "hotmix". I like asphalt. What's wrong with asphalt? Maybe this babe's family is in the asphalt paving business? Maybe daddy's paying your bill with money he's earned as a member of the National Asphalt Pavement Association.

You should be careful not to offend NAPA members or else no more hotmix brides for you.

Cem_Usakligil

I am sorry I may sound harsh but I see more things wrong with this picture before one should start worrying about secondary issues such as the asphalt path. Why don't you work on getting the exposure, contrast, color balance and cropping right first? If all that is fine, then you can worry about the rest.

Rachel Foster

My first concern is getting something for the bride she would like.

This is what I've managed so far....I think I need an image with grass that is the same size as the bride.

try1.jpg

It's still a struggle, but baby steps are happening.

Alain Briot

pro member
You are doing well replacing the tarmac with grass.

Next time, to save time, ask the model to stand on a grassy area ;-)

Asher Kelman

My first concern is getting something for the bride she would like.

This is what I've managed so far....I think I need an image with grass that is the same size as the bride.

try1.jpg

It's still a struggle, but baby steps are happening.
Rachel,

You have already demonstrated that you can ace this! Just need more time. The bride will be so happy. But remember that the comments on composition by Jack and Cem's points are valid!

So, just the moment, the grass!

You have done an excellent job. Now select all and copy past adding that grass to the left. This time use a zigzag blending of the two adjacent grass pieces so the seam is hidden. Use a smaller and smaller brush. Black to reveal, white to get back the layer you are working with.

Even zigzag the edges of the first zigzag! When that's done, let's look at composition. :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

brideveilgrasssmall.jpg

Pretty damn good going Rachel. Now the composition. Consider removing 3/4" of the left and then that width is right.

Now the length. There are three options.

1. As is. I don't like it. There is no decision as to where she belongs

2. Cut at least 1/4" from the lower edge.

3. Cut substantially from the trees!

Are there other options?

Asher

David Thomasson

I'm late to this party, but in addition to putting in the grass, I would mask out the bride and adjust curves on her to pop her out from the background.

bridet.jpg