• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: An evening on a Bridge

Michael Nagel

The series (except the first one, which was a scouting shot) was taken during one evening on a bridge crossing an important street in Munich. The whole scenery has changed in the meantime, there is currently a tunnel under construction which will make the street visible in the pictures disappear. The bridge was gone shortly after taking these pictures.

I do not know if there is any art in there, this was an exercise for me. I did like the changing light and the impression added by the cars passing.

Scouting shot:

First of the series:

Trying to reproduce the impression of an old, cheap print:

Different impression:

More to follow...

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael,

A remarkable achievement, important documentation of how we continually reform our social structures and industry and then a remarkably enjoyable art series to boot!

I imagine an exhibition with this entire set assembled in a giant room with some physicality of boards and blocks in some shape of an arc.

You have opened up the possibility for a great presentation no matter how you arrange it, but this deserves a monumental scale.

Asher

Michael Nagel

6 1/2 Years Later

The series (except the first one, which was a scouting shot) was taken during one evening on a bridge crossing an important street in Munich. The whole scenery has changed in the meantime, there is currently a tunnel under construction which will make the street visible in the pictures disappear. The bridge was gone shortly after taking these pictures.

I do not know if there is any art in there, this was an exercise for me. I did like the changing light and the impression added by the cars passing.

Scouting shot:

Recent view - 6 1/2 years after the above one, the viewpoint is 7m lower (the old street level) and approx. 5m behind (view direction):

Things change...

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Scouting shot:

First of the series:

Different impression:

More to follow...

Best regards,
Michael

I like the fourth one best as it's so simple. So much of the distractions are gone! For my part, though, I missed that sky in #3, as its richer.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Scouting shot:

First of the series:

Different impression:

More to follow...

I like the fourth one best as it's so simple. So much of the distractions are gone! For my part, though, I missed that sky in #3, as its richer.
Emphasis above added. For me the difference between these two is very interesting:

The viewpoint is almost the same - the second picture was taken from the new bridge which is on the former street level and a little more to the east.

The construction lasted several years and still not finished.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Emphasis above added. For me the difference between these two is very interesting:

The viewpoint is almost the same - the second picture was taken from the new bridge which is on the former street level and a little more to the east.

The construction lasted several years and still not finished.

Michael,

So the surface traffic is local and the tunnel gets rid of motorway traffic and noise? Or is this for speed or both to get such an expensive project financed?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

The tunnel eliminates noise and reduces traffic jams as it removes the necessity for several traffic lights.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Asher,

The tunnel eliminates noise and reduces traffic jams as it removes the necessity for several traffic lights.

Best regards,
Michael

That is so great that there's money to improve city living and it's not merely for the benefit of moving faster. It is rare that anyone invests for quality of life improvements like this. Here in big U.S. Cities, such a tunnel might be made as part of the costs of a very big company coming to town and inserting a giant hotel. Then they might induce the City to approve the project by paying for such traffic remediation.

If one is poor, forget about it!

Not a chance! These tunnels cost $10,000,000 or more!

Asher

Michael Nagel

That is so great that there's money to improve city living and it's not merely for the benefit of moving faster. It is rare that anyone invests for quality of life improvements like this...
It might be surprising for you, but the decision to build this tunnel was a citizen's decision. The mayor during the time of the decision opposed the motion.
A few days ago I heard an interview with the (now former) mayor where he admitted that he was wrong in his initial judgement and happy that he was overruled.

Best regards,
Michael