• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Jakkals trou met Wolf se vrou

I hate posting this in the presumptuous "photography as art" forum, but I'm not sure where else "quiet" works like this (which are not portraits, street, macro, landscape, etc) belong -

Jakkals trou met wolf se vrou (Jackal is marrying wolf's wife) is an old Afrikaans saying that is utterred when the rare event that is a sunshower occurs. I took both of these during one such event in the beautiful late-afternoon sun.

jakkals_trou_met_wolf_se_vrou_by_philosomatographer-d3cl96y.jpg

(Media: Ilford HP5+ B&W film (6x7cm), Mamiya RB67, Mamiya Sekor-C 140mm f/4.5 Macro)

undergrowth_with_a_view_by_philosomatographer-d3cl9bc.jpg

(Media: Ilford HP5+ B&W film (6x7cm), Mamiya RB67, Mamiya Sekor-C 140mm f/4.5 Macro)

The second one no longer really illustrates the sunshower, but the crispness and atmosphere I felt that afternoon. The first one was a more serious attempt to capture the essence of the event. I am also addicted to this lens' rendering - almost clinical like modern lenses, but with very gentle contrast in the highlights. It's basically impossible to blow highlights with this lens and negative film.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I hate posting this in the presumptuous "photography as art" forum, but I'm not sure where else "quiet" works like this (which are not portraits, street, macro, landscape, etc) belong -

Jakkals trou met wolf se vrou (Jackal is marrying wolf's wife) is an old Afrikaans saying that is utterred when the rare event that is a sunshower occurs. I took both of these during one such event in the beautiful late-afternoon sun.

jakkals_trou_met_wolf_se_vrou_by_philosomatographer-d3cl96y.jpg

Photography as Art s a fine choice although "Still Photo" might be better as this s pure photography at its best. It's up to you.

These pictures exploit and celebrate the quality of light and are unique and give a good experience.

undergrowth_with_a_view_by_philosomatographer-d3cl9bc.jpg

The second one no longer really illustrates the sunshower, but the crispness and atmosphere I felt that afternoon. The first one was a more serious attempt to capture the essence of the event. I am also addicted to this lens' rendering - almost clinical like modern lenses, but with very gentle contrast in the highlights. It's basically impossible to blow highlights with this lens and negative film.

A great result. wonder how it would be if you lightened the diagonal pod, just a tad?

Thanks for sharing. Now would this be too sharp with the Mamiya 7 II 80 mm? Do you think t would hold the flare as well?

Asher

A great result. wonder how it would be if you lightened the diagonal pod, just a tad?

Thanks for sharing. Now would this be too sharp with the Mamiya 7 II 80 mm? Do you think t would hold the flare as well?

Asher

Hi Asher,

Thank you for your feedback. Oops, I missed the obvious "Still Photo" forum; that would be the place yes. Will use it next time, and you are welcome to move this thread there...

With regards to your question about the 80mm lens on the rangefinder, neither of these images would be deliberately possible with the 7II I am afraid - parralax framing errors would make it impossible to position the sun at just the perfect position (for the first image) and it does not focus nearly close enough for the second image (or, too close, with the fixed-focus close-up kit for the 80mm). It's not made for this sort of thing.

For the purposes of us mere mortals not testing in a lab, but using them to make prints, both the M7II N 80mm, as well as the Sekor-C 140mm Macro, are optically perfect lenses, with no discernable difference in a reasonable-sized print (other than angle of view). I have never come close to running out of resolution with the 140mm Macro in any of my prints, even shooting wide open as in these shots. If anybody runs out of resolution with 6x7cm film and one of these lenses on a 16x20 print even, it's operator error for sure.

No... despit the M7II being a fine, fine machine (I want one!), for certain things only an RB/RZ67 will do.

With regards to your suggestion of lightening the pod, I actually agree, but in an all-analogue workflow, it's very difficult to dodge such a small item with my limited skills (and darkroom time!) but I shall try sometime. I could lighten it up in Photoshop or Aperture in two minutes, but anybody including my grandmother could do that... I care only about the final silver print at this stage. As it stands, I persued an overal level of contrast and exposure for the image.

fahim mohammed

Dawid, I have been looking at both these images since you posted them today.

I love the second one. Just look at that beautiful smooth fade into the light. It gives me a feeling of serenity and hope.

Lovely capture.

Dawid, I have been looking at both these images since you posted them today.

I love the second one. Just look at that beautiful smooth fade into the light. It gives me a feeling of serenity and hope.

Lovely capture.

Thank you so much for the compliments, Fahim (and Rachel, Paul). Every time I manage to en up with an printed image which is a little bit like the scene I saw at the time, I am very happy. It only serves to encourage me to do better, to do more...

Both of these images were processed for rather harsh contrast - they could equally well have been processed to be softer, but it's that crispness that I wanted to convey.