• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Pop Soda Fire

pop_soda_fire_by_philosomatographer-d41gr8p.jpg

(Hand-printed in the darkroom on 12x16in paper, Kodak TMY2-400 (35mm) film, Olympus OM-3Ti, Zuiko 35mm f/2.0)

During a drive down to the coast (to visit my parents) with my wife, we stopped at a very small, derelict town (close to Richmond, Western Cape, ZA) to refuel. The scene next to the petrol garage was one of broken dreams of many years ago. Being without a roof, the window offered a view straight into the heart of a well-lit emptiness - the emptiness appearing even larger than the business that once operated here.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
pop_soda_fire_by_philosomatographer-d41gr8p.jpg

(Hand-printed in the darkroom on 12x16in paper, Kodak TMY2-400 (35mm) film, Olympus OM-3Ti, Zuiko 35mm f/2.0)

During a drive down to the coast (to visit my parents) with my wife, we stopped at a very small, derelict town (close to Richmond, Western Cape, ZA) to refuel. The scene next to the petrol garage was one of broken dreams of many years ago. Being without a roof, the window offered a view straight into the heart of a well-lit emptiness - the emptiness appearing even larger than the business that once operated here.

Still that fine Olympus! I too love this fine picture. It allows the reader to make a cascade of stories of lost opportunity and dreams. We can all identify with this. It becomes a gymnasium for out imagination!

Dawid, this is so good. I'd wonder if you might have taken more pictures from different positions too. When you return, as you must, consider dropping your position so the entire gate to the b.g. left gets included without being cut off.

Asher

Still that fine Olympus! I too love this fine picture. It allows the reader to make a cascade of stories of lost opportunity and dreams. We can all identify with this. It becomes a gymnasium for out imagination!

Dawid, this is so good. I'd wonder if you might have taken more pictures from different positions too. When you return, as you must, consider dropping your position so the entire gate to the b.g. left gets included without being cut off.

Asher

Thank you asher! As with almost all my images, I create a single image only. I don't have any more of the location, in the two minutes or so that I had, this was all that spoke to me. It's an extremely remote location about nine hours' drive away from me, but if I am ever there again, I'll take another look. I understand your point about the position, but there were possibly other concerns preventing me from dropping down my viewing position - most of all the perspective distortion (looking upwards) that I wanted to keep under control. I already cropped a lot of the bottom off this image, i.e. I am pretty low already. But you are right, that may have been better, to drop a couple of centimetres more.

The little Olympus is immensely satisfying as ever. Ironically, not much bigger than a micro four thirds body (much smaller than the smallest digital SLR ever made) but so good to use, and - on good film - yields 12x16in prints (the biggest I ever expect from 35mm film) that I have no complaints about. It certainly offers a viewing and compositional experience second to none in the 35mm realm (film or digital). You should try an OM-3Ti or OM-4Ti some day, just to see what it's like :)