• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Ready Made" – Things you have made then photographed ......

StuartRae

planets-4.jpg

Mark Hampton

I made this lamp in a shop class in 1955. I photographed it fifty years later with my first digi-cam, an HP945.

original.jpg

Winston,

glad you joined in... if i last 50 years I will be happy never mind a light I made... now let the computer take control...

rory.jpg

Work.Rory.Fae. - HDR Readymade (M Hampton / operator)

dont tell me your not making images like these!

cheers

Tom dinning

Registrant*
In between jobs in 1999 I was looking for something to keep me busy.
I made a few boxes for people and finished up selling over 2000 in 6 years. I still have a couple around the house and I use them for props when I photograph my craft friends' work.
It was a very rewarding time and aI look back on it with fondness and a few scars from working with very sharp tools.
I haven't made one for 6 years and don't have any ambitions to go back to it. It was just a job that I liked and it earnt a living.

DSC_2500 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

DSC_2502 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
There was not much to this one. I just put the empty snail shell at the place where you see it.

Michael,

The repurposing is essentially Dadaistic and much, more more! Dada merely took a man-designed urinal and just signed it and then made it his art and created a "series", (all made the same way, LOL) and they acquired phenomenal monetary and artistic value. Your work is simple, unpretentious and pays homage and respect to one artist's original sculpture, (itself a praise of nature), and the monumental artistry of natural things. But unlike Dada, you usurped nothing. The comparison, made as you did, is novel. Others mighty have done that, we'll never know, but what you photographed will live on here.

This succeeds!!

Asher

How did I miss this series since I make stuff all the time. So much fun, not only to create, but to photograph.

Here's one I did a few years ago, that took me all of 3 hours to set up and photograph. Every item is from my kitchen, from the rice to the spice jars to the overturned fruit bowl.

I have many more, but this is probably one of the most elaborate, made expressly to take a photograph but probably one of the most fun. What a mess to clean up after though, oooh, la la!

The concept is in a sad future world where trees must be grown in special dome, :-D , this one protected by the robot farmer.

studio8.jpg

The Guardian © Maggie Terlecki

and the setup:
studio8d.jpg

Asher Kelman

How did I miss this series since I make stuff all the time. So much fun, not only to create, but to photograph. Here's one I did a few years ago, that took me all of 3 hours to set up and photograph. Every item is from my kitchen, from the rice to the spice jars to the overturned fruit bowl.

But it's worth it Maggie. well worth all the effort!

The concept is in a sad future world where trees must be grown in special dome, :-D , this one protected by the robot farmer.

studio8.jpg

The Guardian © Maggie Terlecki

But not to worry, Maggie. The planet has increasing carbon dioxide and it will be a very long time before there's too much of it around. Mind you, acid rain from chemical factories, is not to good for the trees!

However, likely as not, this is how we'll terraform Mars over the next 100 years and so generate oxygen there!

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Maggie! Your picture made me jump up and down laughing and screaming. What a brilliant idea!
I also quite enjoyed Michael's superb winter image.

Jarmo Juntunen

Does this qualify? I emptied the bottles and smoked the cigar all by myself. I even set up the model train - none of the kids helped me.

_img900.jpg

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Thanks, but if you mention Dadaism, don't forget Hugo Ball, George Grosz, Kurt Schwitters, Max Ernst and Hans Richter (and many others). These are the people who defined Dada for me. Duchamps was more popular in New York, but just there...

This was indeed a comparison between Art and Nature just because I saw it that moment. A motivation to be more spontaneous? Who knows...

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Maggie,

I like this one very much and the way how you did it brought one expression back to my mind:
Edible Geography - the name of an excellent blog.

If you line this kind of subject, here is another one, the one through which I found the above one:
BLDG BLOG (definitely worth a read - look into it often).

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Jarmo,

For me this does certainly qualify and I like ideas and execution. To me it is a nod to 70s ads for whisky with a smile. I like also the taste of a s good single malt whisky. The Islay malts are the ones I prefer, but I also appreciate others, like a 21y old Knockando, Edradour or other ones.

Here is something I made and photographed. It involves wine.

Here you get an idea how it was made:

Best regards,
Michael

Maggie! Your picture made me jump up and down laughing and screaming. What a brilliant idea!
I also quite enjoyed Michael's superb winter image.

Thank you Jarmo. I'm so pleased. I've so enjoyed so many of your photos, it's nice to know that I can get a reaction from you.

and Asher ,thank you also. :)

From my other hobby

My other hobby is building audio gear and speaker systems. This was a late 80s project to build a non-resonant enclosure by avoiding parallel sides. The challenge was in making an identical second channel with hand tools. Photographed with a Nikon FM2 and a 24-70 Vivitar zoom lens.

34303835205_00d225d745_b.jpg

33919675860_6a88437e02_b.jpg

Reginald

Asher Kelman

My other hobby is building audio gear and speaker systems. This was a late 80s project to build a non-resonant enclosure by avoiding parallel sides. The challenge was in making an identical second channel with hand tools. Photographed with a Nikon FM2 and a 24-70 Vivitar zoom lens.

34303835205_00d225d745_b.jpg

33919675860_6a88437e02_b.jpg

Reginald

Where are the speakers in the second unit?

Asher