• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Embracing distracting elements

Though we regularly strive to remove all distracting elements from a typical "postcard" landscape image, I often find cases where I try to embrace them, to use them as a sort of frame to direct the viewer's attention.

This is a recent (May 2009) such attempt, and I was wondering what the general concensus towards this is around here - should one always apply the principle

"A perfect picture is not when you can no longer add anything, but when you can no longer remove anything"

or have you found yourself in a similar situation? My intent here was to capture an aspect of De Rust, a very small, very old "pass-through" town on the way to Oudtshoorn, in the Western Cape (South Africa).

De_Rust_by_philosomatographer.jpg

(Equipment: Olympus OM-1, Zuiko 90mm f/2.0 Macro.
Process: Ilford PanF (35mm) at ISO32, self-developed. 9x12in silver-gelatin darkroom split-grade print on RC satin paper.
Print scanned on Epson V700 scanner.)

Ken Tanaka

pro member
A "distraction" is an element that diverts attention from the intended message or impression. To that definition, distractions are often in the eye of the creator rather than the beholder.

Here I see no distractions. The roadway and utility lines tell me that that cottage is not in the middle of nowhere. It's connected to the planet but in what appears to be an idyllically serene landscape.

This beholder thinks it's a lovely image, Dawid. Leave it alone.

Mike Shimwell

I agree - I often leave the 'detritus of life' in the frame precisely because life is untidy:) Ken nailed it - it's a part of the message. Lovely picture too, with nice tonality and local contrast.

What are you developing your Pan F with? I've used both Perceptol and Rodinal and at present prefer Rodinal, although I think that's because Ilford are being optimistic suggesting that you can expose it at EI50 if developing in perceptol.

Mike

What are you developing your Pan F with? I've used both Perceptol and Rodinal and at present prefer Rodinal, although I think that's because Ilford are being optimistic suggesting that you can expose it at EI50 if developing in perceptol.

Hi Mike,

Straight old fashioned D76 (well, a locally available concoction which is chemically identical to it, in anyway) diluted either 1+2 or even 1+3 for ISO32-rated Pan F. I do find it the best all-round combo, though I have not tried many developers. But I am very pleased with the results, as the tones in this landscape show I hope.