• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gator

Chris Calohan

34137128213_e0bb370992_b_d.jpg

Big Boy: Chris Calohan​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
34137128213_e0bb370992_b_d.jpg

Big Boy: Chris Calohan​

Chris,

Not only is your picture a great catch, but also quite educational!

What is especially fascinating about this large armored creature is the likeness of the healed tree branch stump behind its left front limb. In fact, the 'gator is so much like the background that I thought, at first that the wooden form as in fact the head of the creature itself!

This similarity might have been an evolutionary successful adaption, as those 'gator offspring that blended into the background of fallen trees and exposed roots would have greater chance of survival!

Just a thought!

Asher

When I lived in Houston I spent many days at the Brazos Bend State Park. That was a place crawling with gators and I always enjoyed observing them. I also remember being wary and constantly on the lookout for them, especially when nesting. They are incredible creatures and you captured this one beautifully. That can be difficult sometimes, especially in the bright sun, which is usually when you see them like this. Very nice.