• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Using Live View for fine focus

From the original thread here

On a positive note, I find tethered live view shooting in the studio the best thing that has happened to my photography since I went digital. The ability to see the shot on the computer screen in advance, and to drive the camera focus controls while zoomed into the live view image gives me a degree of control I haven't had since using a loupe on the ground glass of a view camera.

Chalres

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
On a positive note, I find tethered live view shooting in the studio the best thing that has happened to my photography since I went digital. The ability to see the shot on the computer screen in advance, and to drive the camera focus controls while zoomed into the live view image gives me a degree of control I haven't had since using a loupe on the ground glass of a view camera.

Charles,

You're so right! I am able to use manual focus lenses, like the 24mm TSE on my 5DII and feel so comfortable with the focussing. What do you use for seeing the image on your laptop? Canons program, lightroom or what?

Asher

Doug Kerr

What do you use for seeing the image on your laptop? Canons program, lightroom or what?
Our tethered work so far has all been with our Powershot SX110 IS.

We use either Canon RemoteCapture DC (I believe it gets installed with ZoomBrowser EX, but I forget) or Breeze PSRemote.

The way all the Canon support stuff gets installed, and how you access it, is really weird.

Best regards,

Doug

Charles,

You're so right! I am able to use manual focus lenses, like the 24mm TSE on my 5DII and feel so comfortable with the focussing. What do you use for seeing the image on your laptop? Canons program, lightroom or what?

Asher

I'm using Breeze Systems DSLR Capture Pro, because I had issues with Canon's EOS Utility crashing repeatedly. I like the fact that DSLR Capture Pro has it's own full screen view, rather than having to use a watched folder in LR.

I haven't upgraded my LR to 3.0 yet, so haven't tried tethering directly with that.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm using Breeze Systems DSLR Capture Pro, because I had issues with Canon's EOS Utility crashing repeatedly. I like the fact that DSLR Capture Pro has it's own full screen view, rather than having to use a watched folder in LR.

I haven't upgraded my LR to 3.0 yet, so haven't tried tethering directly with that.

Charles,

Just the PC version or any experience with the Mac program for tethered shooting?

Asher

I'm PC only these days. The last Mac went out the door about 10 years ago when I couldn't afford to upgrade to a Quadra.

Breeze Systems DSLR Capture Pro is PC only, to the best of my knowledge.

I'm planning to upgrade my LR after my return from my next trip so will report on direct teathering at that time.